PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to the internet..

jacksonon
09-10-2006, 04:42 PM
I downloaded the latest version of the Knoppix LiveCD the other day so I could try it out and become familiar with the OS, and also just in case Windows ever fails and I need to get in and do something. Problem is, when I get in my network connection doesn't work. I am using the onboard ULI ethernet on my ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard. Here's what I've tried:

1. Knoppix menu-> Netcardconfig wizard. It asks if I want to use DHCP on eth0 or eth1... I'm pretty sure eth0 is my network connection, and eth1 might be the firewire 1394 connection on my sound blaster card? DHCP fails for both. When I say I don't want to use DHCP it asks me to type anything in manually.. I know what my ip address, gateway and subnet mask are (from ipconfig in windows) but I'm not sure what to put for the other boxes... Anyway I end up just clicking OK and it does nothing.
2. Some Googling around showed commands like "ifconfig eth0 up" and "pump" which both do nothing.
3. I went into the configuration page for my Motorola VT2442 router and made sure DHCP was enabled.

rusty
09-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Open a shell and post the output of: ifconfig

jacksonon
09-11-2006, 08:34 PM
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:96 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:96 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:6848 (6.6 KiB) TX bytes:6848 (6.6 KiB)

rusty
09-12-2006, 12:04 AM
What the output suggests is that the integrated nic has not been recognized by knoppix, so a couple of things to look into.

The output of: lsmod will tell us if the kernel module (driver) for the nic has been loaded. You should look for something like uli526x. If it's not there you can try loading it manually, if it comes with knoppix, by typing: modprobe uli526x.

If that seems to work then proceed with ifconfig eth0 up etc. If it does not, then you can either try and find and download the driver or find a live CD distro, that has it already, Ubuntu and Kanotix come to mind, and especially considering that they have 64 bit versions.

marhleet
09-12-2006, 10:03 AM
post the output from

lspci
lspci -v
if you got the space but the plain one will tell us what knoppix can see on the bus

jacksonon
09-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Knoppix does see a ethernet controller; the uli526x driver is in the output of lsmod. But when I go to do a ifconfig eth0 up it returns with a SIOCSIFFLAGS error. A little research told me that this means there is an IRQ conflict. How would I fix this? My BIOS is pretty clean.. I don't load parallel/game/serial ports or even the floppy drive.

ockham23
09-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Try cheat code "knoppix noapic". This will disable the programmable interrupt controller and result in a different IRQ assignment.