PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 5.0.1 hangs at boot - HP pavilion zv5000

Vincent Frost
09-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Downloaded Knoppix first from a mirror site and burned at max speed. I restarted my computer to boot the CD but Knoppix froze three lines down at "Looking for CD in: /dev/hdc _". I came here and saw that this might happen for several reason...

So I downloaded Knoppix again as a torrent this time, checked the hash, and burned at 4x instead of maximum and recieved the same results when i tried to reboot. I tried to load Knoppix on another labtop (newer model) and a desktop (older model) because I read that sometimes that it would load on another computer. On the second laptop Knoppix loaded perfectly but on the desktop I got an I/O error message and was being bumped into a limited shell.

I then reburned the CD at 10x, minimum speed possible, on the second labtop using a different program, Nero, to burn the ISO image. This CD has had the same success rate as the others. I haven't tried any cheatcodes yet and wouldn't know which ones to try to help troubleshoot. The computer I want Knoppix to work on is my HP pavilion zv5000 and I've seen other posts where this model worked with Knoppix.

Specs.

HP pavilion zv5000
Microsoft Windows XP SP 2
Celeron CPU 2.8GHz
1.87 GB of RAM

HP pavilion zd8000
Pentium 4 CPU 2.8 GHz
512 MB of RAM

HP pavilion a265c
Pentium 4 CPU
1.5 GB RAM

If any other information is needed to help access the situation just leave a post telling what you need. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem will be greatly appreciated.

-Edit-
Just tried the failsafe cheatcode and loaded Knoppix successfully. Seems to be a hardware problem i guess but don't know where. Any clues on where I should start the search? Also on shutdown, knoppix didn't finish shutdown after ejection of the cd and my pressing enter or after two minutes has passed.

knoppix no{apic,agp,apm,audio,ddc} Skip parts of HW-detection (1)
knoppix no{dhcp,fstab,firewire} Skip parts of HW-detection (2)
knoppix no{pcmcia,scsi,swap,usb} Skip parts of HW-detection (3)

Tried these cheats separatly and all at the same time but didn't work.
-Edit-

ockham23
09-10-2006, 11:25 PM
The cheat code for checking the cd for data integrity is
knoppix testcdThe test will take a few minutes. Be patient and observe the screen. The test result should read "Everything looks OK".

Harry Kuhman
09-10-2006, 11:36 PM
One other observation about testcd: Often the screen will go blank during the test. It's just the screen saver. Use the shift or some other non-impacting key to get the display back.

Vincent Frost
09-11-2006, 04:13 AM
Tried the knoppix testcd cheatcode on my hp pavilion zv5000 and knoppix froze even before the test could take place. I then tested the CDs on the laptop that successfully loaded knoppix before and all the disks passed the test.

-Edit-
Don't know exactly what this means but after reading how some people had success with earlier versions of knoppix and then had trouble moving to 5.0.1 I tried knoppix 4.0.2 and it loaded fine.
-Edit-

hotumattua
09-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Downloaded Knoppix first from a mirror site and burned at max speed. I restarted my computer to boot the CD but Knoppix froze three lines down at "Looking for CD in: /dev/hdc _". I came here and saw that this might happen for several reason...

So I downloaded Knoppix again as a torrent this time, checked the hash, and burned at 4x instead of maximum and recieved the same results when i tried to reboot. I tried to load Knoppix on another labtop (newer model) and a desktop (older model) because I read that sometimes that it would load on another computer. On the second laptop Knoppix loaded perfectly but on the desktop I got an I/O error message and was being bumped into a limited shell.

I then reburned the CD at 10x, minimum speed possible, on the second labtop using a different program, Nero, to burn the ISO image. This CD has had the same success rate as the others. I haven't tried any cheatcodes yet and wouldn't know which ones to try to help troubleshoot. The computer I want Knoppix to work on is my HP pavilion zv5000 and I've seen other posts where this model worked with Knoppix.

Specs.

HP pavilion zv5000
Celeron CPU 2.8GHz
1.87 GB of RAM

HP pavilion zd8000
Pentium 4 CPU 2.8 GHz
512 MB of RAM

HP pavilion a265c
Pentium 4 CPU
1.5 GB RAM

If any other information is needed to help access the situation just leave a post telling what you need. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem will be greatly appreciated.

-Edit-
Just tried the failsafe cheatcode and loaded Knoppix successfully. Seems to be a hardware problem i guess but don't know where. Any clues on where I should start the search? Also on shutdown, knoppix didn't finish shutdown after ejection of the cd and my pressing enter or after two minutes has passed.

knoppix no{apic,agp,apm,audio,ddc} Skip parts of HW-detection (1)
knoppix no{dhcp,fstab,firewire} Skip parts of HW-detection (2)
knoppix no{pcmcia,scsi,swap,usb} Skip parts of HW-detection (3)

Tried these cheats separatly and all at the same time but didn't work.
-Edit-

It seems to be your DMA controller. Try to boot without DMA enabled, with this command:

knoppix nodma

I had the same problem on a IBM ThinkPad 600X laptop.
BRGDS

Vincent Frost
09-21-2006, 07:03 AM
Thanks for your help. I tried the nodma cheat and knoppix loaded without any difficulties.

hotumattua
09-22-2006, 07:07 AM
Thanks for your help. I tried the nodma cheat and knoppix loaded without any difficulties.

Glad to hear that. Nota bene, KNOPPIX 5.0 is the first with dma enabled as default, that's why the PCs with dma controller problems hang during boot sequence. Try to enable dma after boot, to see if it works.

RGDS

flutecrafter
09-24-2006, 01:21 AM

Glad to hear that. Nota bene, KNOPPIX 5.0 is the first with dma enabled as default, that's why the PCs with dma controller problems hang during boot sequence. Try to enable dma after boot, to see if it works.

RGDSokay... I seem to have a similar issue with my hp.. same model..

How do I boot it up without the dma enabled?

mark

flutecrafter
09-24-2006, 02:03 AM

mark
okay... now that I can spell again.. :lol:
I got that part.

but I can not get online with it.
the wireless feature is apparantly not recognized.. :(
help?
please?

thanks.

mark

hotumattua
09-25-2006, 12:50 PM

mark
okay... now that I can spell again.. :lol:
I got that part.

but I can not get online with it.
the wireless feature is apparantly not recognized.. :(
help?
please?

thanks.

mark
Hi,

Making a wireless card to work is a challenging issue. I'll tell you what I have done, I hope it will work in your case too.
1. Go to System/Networking (you have certainly already set an Administrator Password)
2. Select Wireless connection and click on Properties
3. Click on Enable this connection, Click the pop down menu next to Network name. You must see your Access Point - make sure you didn't set your AP to hide its SSID -. If you can't see any APs then Knoppix didn't configure your card and, sorry, I don't know what to do.
4. Select you AP, set your WEP key, if any.
5. Configure your Connection: manually or automatically, if you have a DHCP server enabled.
6. Click OK to close Interface properties window.
7. Click OK to close Network Settings window also.
8. Go to Control Center/Internet & Network/Network Settings.
9. In Available Network Interfaces you must see your wireless interface.
10. Select your interface and click on Enable Interface. And that's it! In IP Address you must see the IP that DHCP server gave to your Wireless INterface.
If you have a laptop, using KWiFiManager, you can configure as many wireless connections as you wish: home, preffered hotspot, office etc.
Success!
Hotu Mattua

flutecrafter
09-26-2006, 04:13 AM
*sigh...*

looks like it didn't configure, I'll try again tomorrow and see if I just missed it.

mark