PDA

View Full Version : knoppix live cd stream audio [npr]

jimjan
09-11-2006, 02:53 AM
have been having a great time with knoppix as live cd surfing net. using konqueror as browser. all basic internet functions are fine.

now very interested in listening to streaming audio from many sources [esp national public radio] but running into a problem.

when i click on a 'listen' link in npr, i get this file type popping up and i am not sure what to do with it??

file example is -- npr6055.smil [a Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language]

it asks me if i want to open with kaffiene. when kaffiene opens i then get an error message -- 'A problem occur while loading a library or a decoder: cook.so.6.0'

suggestions/insight?

thanks
jim

ockham23
09-11-2006, 09:31 AM
"smil" is a format used by Realplayer, a media player which is not on the Knoppix cd. So you have to download the software and set it up before you can use. Fortunately, Realplayer is in the klik repository:
1. Go to http://klik.atekon.de
2. Run the command posted on the website.
wget klik.atekon.de/client/install -O -|sh
3. Open Konqueror and type "klik://realplayer10" in the address bar. This will download and launch Realplayer.
4. Realplayer setup will launch a setup dialog; just confirm the default answers.
5. Upon setting up Realplayer, don't close the Realplayer window. The application must be active, otherwise the browser won't find it.
6. Launch Firefox, go to www.npr.org and click on the "Listen" button.
7. Select "Realplayer" as your preferred player.
8. Click "Ok" to open the stream with Realplayer.