PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.2 KDE knx-hdinstall problem

Private Pyle
05-17-2003, 01:54 PM
When I run knx-hdinstall either in either command line only or from within kde I get a message about a file called something test29.gz

Not sure exactly what it says as its in German.

Die von skript benotige datei

/usr/local/lib/knx-templates-0.29test.tgz wurde
nicht gefunden oder is beschadigt. Das skript wird beendet

Or something like that.

Stephen
05-17-2003, 06:16 PM
It's telling you that the script can not find the templates file. Try downloading the knx-hdinstall from here (http://www.itm.tu-clausthal.de/~perle/knx/) . I usually use just the knx-install-0.38 one. When you go to download it open it with ark and extract it to your /ramdisk/home/knoppix then open a console window and then sudo ./knx-hdinstall to use the script in your ramdisk.
note: when you extract make sure the all files is selected.

Private Pyle
05-18-2003, 04:38 PM
Cheers chief. :D

thegroover
07-06-2003, 04:38 PM
I am a complete Linux newbie. At the expense of sounding completely stupid, I don't entirely follow what I am to do to get past the file missing in my Knoppix KDE 3.1 distribution I bought on CD.

I don't even understand how to get the file downloaded from my windows machine onto the linux one... This "Ramdisk" is a sort of area of the drive that I can execute things in? I have looked over the net for answers but I am just simply not understanding it.

Please, be patient with me as this is certainly not my area of expertise. My basic goal is to have a very close to Windows version of Linux that I can use for accounting and office applications to save myself the cost of paying for over priced Microsoft alternatives. I really like Knoppix KDE as I can navigate very comfortably in it but I don't want to run it off the CD every time.

Cheers, and thanks heaps for reading this post.

Stephen
07-06-2003, 06:44 PM
I don't even understand how to get the file downloaded from my windows machine onto the linux one... This "Ramdisk" is a sort of area of the drive that I can execute things in? I have looked over the net for answers but I am just simply not understanding it.

To get the file you have downloaded from your windows partition to the running CD you will have to mount (make available for use) the windows partition. Here I will assume your windows is installed on the first partition on the first HD (drive C: ) and this is where the file is stored. eg:

sudo mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

This would be done in a console window (click on the clam shell icon on the taskbar). Now that the partitions is available you would while still in the console:

sudo cp /mnt/hda1/path_to_file /ramdisk/home/knoppix/

which copies the file to the ramdisk now you will have to extract the contents of the archive with either ark which is in the utilities menu or with this command.

sudo tar -xvzf knx-hdinstall-0.38.tgz .

which extracts the file to the current directory (which unless you changed directories when you opened the console will be /ramdisk/home/knoppix to check pwd in the console and it will print the working directory) then to install:

sudo ./knx-hdinstall

this starts the install with the file you just extracted.

note: the install will fail unless you have already created two additional partitions on either your first (drive C: ) or another HD for a /swap and / partitions the /swap must be at least 128mb and the / at least 2.2gb or you can create the partitions with the cfdisk tool which will be run during the install but it is best to have created them first with a tool like Partition Magic from Powerquest (http://www.powerquest.com) and just quit from the cfdisk program making no changes and continue with the install using the already created partitions it will save a re-start of the computer for the changes to the HD to be recognized if you have a buggy IDE chipset.

additional note: Partition Magic is a commercial product and as such you will have to purchase a copy there is however an alternative you may want to try the latest version (2003-06-06) of regular Knoppix as it has QTParted which is similar in function to Partition Magic and completely free this would have the additional benifit of having the latest version of the software included and would save the multi-hundred MB download that it will take to upgrade the older versions included with KnoppixKDE.

Please, be patient with me as this is certainly not my area of expertise. My basic goal is to have a very close to Windows version of Linux that I can use for accounting and office applications to save myself the cost of paying for over priced Microsoft alternatives. I really like Knoppix KDE as I can navigate very comfortably in it but I don't want to run it off the CD every time.

Cheers, and thanks heaps for reading this post.

Were here to help ( it's all part of the plan global domination one user at a time :wink: ) your goal is definetely attainable it will however require some time and effort and asking a lot of questions I would suggest that you get in contact with humbug (http://www.humbug.org.au/) which is your local Linux (unix) users group.

eadz
07-06-2003, 09:57 PM
Note, you should get the latest version of Knoppix and not use Knoppix KDE anymore as it has been surpased by Knoppix 3.2

thegroover
07-06-2003, 10:27 PM
Stephen, your explanation was nothing short of exactly what I needed to know. I should've probably mentioned that I had Windows installed on another computer other than the one I was installing Linux to. That problem was solved with the use of those black 3.5" things that my forefathers used to use.

Mate this is a good forum and I can tell you've been here for a while. Thanks for your courteous treatment and I hope one day I can return the favour.

In regards to the updated version of Knoppix, the only thing that would be an advantage to me at this point would be a more lean version with just Office and Internet tools. But I can't really make a speed judgement until I have really tweaked and understood this operating system.

I used to use an old Atari ST diligently for music creation. I am comforted to see certain simularities to the Atari interface, blended carefully with Windows and Mac elements aswell. Overall, I feel that despite my no sleep tonight (at all... 28hours going strong.. sorta strong..) I have started on something new and exciting.

Linux is 'cool'... well, as cool as an operating system gets. OSX is good too, but Linux seems more personal, and more Atari.

Cheers!

Stephen
07-07-2003, 12:19 AM
Stephen, your explanation was nothing short of exactly what I needed to know. I should've probably mentioned that I had Windows installed on another computer other than the one I was installing Linux to. That problem was solved with the use of those black 3.5" things that my forefathers used to use.

Mate this is a good forum and I can tell you've been here for a while. Thanks for your courteous treatment and I hope one day I can return the favour.

Your welcome good to hear you got it going I probably should have clued in to the second machine in your first post but a lot of people refer to their linux partition as another machine and yeah I've been around a while, long enough that my forefathers used them 8" thingies that actually would flop around hence the term floppy disk.

In regards to the updated version of Knoppix, the only thing that would be an advantage to me at this point would be a more lean version with just Office and Internet tools. But I can't really make a speed judgement until I have really tweaked and understood this operating system.

Good idea get the lay of the land so to speak and move on from there after you get a better handle on how things work. Aside from HUMBUG which I mentioned above a good place for information is always Google for Linux (http://www.google.com/linux) any error you get you should put in the search field and you will more than likely get many, many links to some similar situation someone has already encountered. Also a couple of more links APT HOWTO (http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html) for using the package manager APT, The Linux Documentation Project (http://www.tldp.org/), Linux Questions (http://www.linuxquestions.org) another site dedicated to linux of all flavours and last but not least Debian (http://wwww.debian.org) the Debian website.

I used to use an old Atari ST diligently for music creation. I am comforted to see certain simularities to the Atari interface, blended carefully with Windows and Mac elements aswell. Overall, I feel that despite my no sleep tonight (at all... 28hours going strong.. sorta strong..) I have started on something new and exciting.

Linux is 'cool'... well, as cool as an operating system gets. OSX is good too, but Linux seems more personal, and more Atari.

Cheers!

Yeah I kinda like it too there's all kinds of people just trying to get the problems with other OS's bad behavior solved and have a safe, secure, and stable computing environment and aside from the time and effort it can all be for free and that's always the best price.