PDA

View Full Version : knoppix kernel patches

saied
09-12-2006, 08:23 AM
hi every body
i'm developing another distro and i found that hardware support of knoppix is great so i want to know which kernel patches applied to knoppix kernel . please give me the complete list if possible.
thanks

jjmac
09-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Howdy,

Good question ...

I can remember it mentioned somwhere that the array that holds the command line options is expanded for the knoppix kernel. So as to allow for a long list of cheat codes if needed.

It just involves a simple source edit. Not sure exactly where in the source it is but i did find it once before so it wont be that hard to trace down. I'll do a bit of a search just out of interest and post back if i find it but it may be some time.

As far as patches go generally, the 'ck' set is very smooth. Schedulling/latency/timer issues -=- desktop/server -=-.

http://ck.kolivas.org/patches

Can't say much more there really.

jm

malaire
09-14-2006, 12:38 PM
hi every body
i'm developing another distro and i found that hardware support of knoppix is great so i want to know which kernel patches applied to knoppix kernel . please give me the complete list if possible.
thanks

At least in Knoppix 4.0.2 CD, /usr/src/knoppix-kernel.README says:

Q: Are there any special components/patches in the kernel used on KNOPPIX?
A: No. KNOPPIX uses the currentmost STABLE vanilla Linux kernel from
www.kernel.org, with 2 exceptions:
- Until the XFS filesystem is officially accepted in the stable kernel
releases, the xfs patch from www.xfs.org is added
- The boot commandline is extended to support 512 chars, the patch for
this can be found in /usr/src/knoppix-kernel.patch

So it seems that good hardware-detection in Knoppix doesn't have anything to do with Kernel-patches.

jjmac
09-26-2006, 12:50 PM
>>>>
At least in Knoppix 4.0.2 CD, /usr/src/knoppix-kernel.README says:

Q: Are there any special components/patches in the kernel used on KNOPPIX?
A: No. KNOPPIX uses the currentmost STABLE vanilla Linux kernel from
www.kernel.org, with 2 exceptions:
- Until the XFS filesystem is officially accepted in the stable kernel
releases, the xfs patch from www.xfs.org is added
- The boot commandline is extended to support 512 chars, the patch for
this can be found in /usr/src/knoppix-kernel.patch

>>>>

>>
So it seems that good hardware-detection in Knoppix doesn't have anything to do with Kernel-patches.>>

Kernel development is very dynamic ... code/performance improvements are being made/worked on all the time. Including broad(er) hw support.

The only real problem that arises is with proprietry drivers that have been releast very recently, post kernel version that have had significant alterations made to their code bases.

But thats par ... :)

Most distros seem to have quite good hw support really.

Linux alway has.

jm