PDA

View Full Version : knoppix 5.0 - how to add volume control to taskbar

tymlls05
09-13-2006, 11:46 PM
I just installed knoppix to my harddrive for the first time. When I try to run a soundcard configuration it says I don't seem to be running a kernel with modular sound enabled. The sound works on instant messaging and media files but the volume is very loud. I'm guessing if I could fix this it would detect my sound and it would add a volume button ot the taskbar or something.

Almost any assistance would be great. Thanks.

tymlls05
09-17-2006, 09:40 PM
ok.. wrong forum then? maybe someone should move this or something.

annnny help at all please.

Harry Kuhman
09-18-2006, 12:14 AM
ok.. wrong forum then? maybe someone should move this or something.
You've "installed" knoppix, it's in the proper place.

Yes, I've noticed that the people who think installing Knoppix is a good idea don't seem to rush to help when the inevidable problems come up. I don't believe that it's a good (or even rational) idea, but I've posted plenty of warnings about it (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/HD_Install_Warning_not_to_do_it), I don't rush to tell everyone who wants to attempt it not to. Even with real intended for hard disk Debian installs I've had soundcard issues that I can't resolve with some old very common ISA soundcards (SoundBlaster 16 pnp for example), so I certainly can't help you with a Knoppix "install". Sorry.

tymlls05
09-18-2006, 04:30 AM
Well, it's no major issue. This is just 2 computers I had that were running 98 that I combined into one computer using whatever I thought had the better parts. I ran xp on it until the trial went out. I'm not ruining a new computer with knoppix. lol. It's fun to play with and try to learn linux, and I can hear the sound. I was just seeing, when I have bugs like this come up if their are scripts I can run or something I could download.

Thanks for the reply.

linookser
09-18-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm currently running Knoppix 5.01 on hard drive on a 6 month old computer (alonside side another distro) and on an older one. I haven't had problems with sound. Have you tried running Kmix or another mixer like alsamixer, to adjust volume levels? Or can you adjust the volume level on the speakers themselves? It doesn't seem like you need to configure sound since it's working. You just need to adjust the mixer settings.