PDA

View Full Version : ntfs and saving files

khaji00
09-14-2006, 02:14 AM
After i posted this topic (in the wrong sectin i presume) i kept reading up on my issue and think i "might" have found a solution. sorry for the troubles. can i delete posts in the future that i create?

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Hey,
I've run into what seems to be a little road block. I've run searches through this forum and google and can't find the awnswer i'm looking for. I have NTFS winxp pro system and have files that i would like to save. According to the forums knoppix is safer with the fat file system and can be problematic while trying to write to a NTFS. So my question would be how can i save/recover my files on my HD without corrupting them. i searched around for a live CD burning software for knoppix to maybe try to burn the data, but that also proved unsuccessful. I have 2 HDs, one is a system HD and the other just multimedia. I can read and execute my files just fine, but i cannot write/copy or create directories and what not. Any ideas, or is it a lost cause?

My next step would be to hook my HD up to an external enclosure and try to save the files via laptop, but my HD is having mup.sys driver problems, and i couldnt figure that out either with the help of google.

thanks in advance for any help
-alex

Jacky
09-14-2006, 02:56 AM
Hi,

Linux's ability to write to NTFS is still experimental and undergoing testing, it can be done, but I would not recommend it for your purpose yet. Here are a few simple ways to write you files:

1. Easiest: Save your files to a thumb drive. These are pretty cheap now. Knoppix recognises thumb drives as sda / sdb etc. Data on the thumbdrive can then be shared between XP and Knoppix.

2. Create a fat32 partition, for example in the 2nd disk which you use to store multimedia. Data which you write to the fat32 partition can be shared between Knoppix and Win XP.

3. Use a 3rd hd, formatted as fat32, either hook it up internally or through an external usb enclosure. Knoppix recognises external disks/usb enclosures as sda / sdb etc

When you say your attempt to burn cds with Knoppix "proved unsuccessful", can you describe what problem you encountered? Knoppix includes good burning software such as k3b.

Regards.

khaji00
09-22-2006, 02:10 AM
hey thanks for your help. the usb stick worked great. Also i was lookng forever for the cd/dvd burning software and couldnt find it, thats why i said it was unsuccesfful. after you mentioned it i finally found it and also used that. thanks agian