PDA

View Full Version : Ndiswrapper Idioicy - Help!

pheadxdll
09-17-2006, 05:52 PM
I have the 6/01 (latest) release of knoppix and I installed it to my laptop. Ndiswrapper worked fine but I stupidly said, "Hey, I'll upgrade." I downloaded the latest version of ndiswrapper and what do you know, it didn't compile. It was too late to reverse what I had done. I accidentally deleted ndiswrapper. Since then I've tried several different versions of ndiswrapper with no success. They all errored out when I tried to compile them. I even tried booting another system with the same knoppix CD and I taking out the ndiswrapper.ko driver file in /lib/modules/2.6.17/misc and putting it in my other computer. I get 'Invalid Arguement' when I 'modprobe ndiswrapper'. I wanted to try copying all ndiswrapper related files to my other computer, but I don't know all the paths. If you think this is a good idea, please post where they all are. If you have a better idea, :P please tell me.

Thanks so much,

AK

malaire
09-18-2006, 11:29 AM
I have the 6/01 (latest) release of knoppix and I installed it to my laptop. Ndiswrapper worked fine but I stupidly said, "Hey, I'll upgrade." I downloaded the latest version of ndiswrapper and what do you know, it didn't compile. It was too late to reverse what I had done. I accidentally deleted ndiswrapper. Since then I've tried several different versions of ndiswrapper with no success. They all errored out when I tried to compile them. I even tried booting another system with the same knoppix CD and I taking out the ndiswrapper.ko driver file in /lib/modules/2.6.17/misc and putting it in my other computer. I get 'Invalid Arguement' when I 'modprobe ndiswrapper'. I wanted to try copying all ndiswrapper related files to my other computer, but I don't know all the paths. If you think this is a good idea, please post where they all are. If you have a better idea, :P please tell me.

I'm not sure if that is a good idea, but you can use these commands to get those paths:

First, start that Knoppix CD, and list all ndiswrapper-related packages which are installed:

knoppix@0[knoppix]$ dpkg -l '*ndiswrapper*' | grep '^i'
ii knoppix-ndiswrapper 0.1-3 NdisWrapper GUI for KNOPPIX
ii ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12 1.1rc3-1 Linux kernel module for NdisWrapper for 2.6.
ii ndiswrapper-utils 1.1rc3-1 User space tools for ndiswrapper
knoppix@0[knoppix]$

For Knoppix 4.0.2 CD, I have 3 packages here: knoppix-ndiswrapper, ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12 and ndiswrapper-utils.

Then list all files which were installed by those packages:

knoppix@0[knoppix]$ dpkg -L knoppix-ndiswrapper ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12 ndiswrapper-utils
/.
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/sbin
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper.sh
/usr/share
/usr/share/applnk
/usr/share/applnk/Knoppix
/usr/share/applnk/Knoppix/Net
/usr/share/applnk/Knoppix/Net/knoppix-ndiswrapper.desktop
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/knoppix-ndiswrapper
/usr/share/doc/knoppix-ndiswrapper/copyright
/usr/share/doc/knoppix-ndiswrapper/changelog.Debian.gz

/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/README
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/copyright
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/changelog.Debian.gz
/lib
/lib/modules
/lib/modules/2.6.12
/lib/modules/2.6.12/misc
/lib/modules/2.6.12/misc/ndiswrapper.ko

/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/README
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/copyright
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man8
/usr/share/man/man8/ndiswrapper.8.gz
package diverts others to: /usr/share/man/man8/ndiswrapper.8.gz.distrib
/usr/sbin
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-buginfo
/sbin
/sbin/loadndisdriver

then just ignore the directories in that list to get the list of actual files. In my case there are these files in the above list:

/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper.sh
/usr/share/applnk/Knoppix/Net/knoppix-ndiswrapper.desktop
/usr/share/doc/knoppix-ndiswrapper/copyright
/usr/share/doc/knoppix-ndiswrapper/changelog.Debian.gz

/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/README
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/copyright
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12/changelog.Debian.gz
/lib/modules/2.6.12/misc/ndiswrapper.ko

/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/README
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/copyright
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/ndiswrapper.8.gz
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-buginfo
/sbin/loadndisdriver

(Note: In some cases there can be some installed files which are not in this list, but quite often you get all installed files in this way)

rusty
09-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Perhaps this link will help: http://packages.debian.org/testing/misc/ndiswrapper-source. I think the key is to have your kernel source installed before compiling. If you want to post the messagees your getting when you try to compile, that might help as well.