PDA

View Full Version : Only primary partition for HD install?

wolfgang_a_h
09-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Hi all,
I just read in the "Hd Install HowTo" that I should
' ... Be sure the root partition is among the first 4 partitions on the drive, formatted with ext2 or ext3, and is set to "active." ...'
I did a HD install quite some time ago (Knoppix V3.8 ) and it's root partition *is* in fact located on a logical partition (i.e. hdb13) and works flawlessly.

Is this a new constraint? What are the issues with installing on a logical partition (if any)?

The point is that I do not want to change the partition table, KNOPPIX is only intended to be used for a couple of weeks, after that I'm going to install a "real" HD distro, but I do not have time for this now, but as I need additional SW I do need the HD install.

Any hints?

Greetings & cheers
wolfgang

linookser
09-18-2006, 04:36 PM
I have Knoppix 5.01 running off a logical partition (sda5) without problems. It's odd that the HowTo says "formatted with ext2 or ext3" when the default filesystem with the current installer is Reiserfs. But my install is on ext3.

wolfgang_a_h
09-19-2006, 12:45 PM
I have Knoppix 5.01 running off a logical partition (sda5) without problems. It's odd that the HowTo says "formatted with ext2 or ext3" when the default filesystem with the current installer is Reiserfs. But my install is on ext3.
Thanks, so it just seems that the HOWTO is out of date. So I'm going to just try it out...