PDA

View Full Version : using frame buffer from console

James Lehman
09-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Hello everyone.

I am very new to Knoppix or any other live CD of Linux.

I would like to make my own remaster of Knoppix to demo some code I wrote that uses the frame buffer, directly from the console. I started out with a Matrox G450 video card, and for some reason, I can't get any frame buffer action at all. No Tux! Then I switched to an Nvidia card and I get my frame buffer. I have my own executables sitting on a hard drive where I can get at them. When I try to do anything with the frame buffer and fbset, it either ignores me or gives me an error. In either event, it fails to change anything. If I run some of my stuff that works in 16 bit packed pixel, it works fine. But I need 32 bpp! And I would also like to have the option to change the screen resolution and refresh rate. Is it simply (!) a matter of recompiling the kernel for my own version of Knoppix to include more of the frame buffer options or is there some underlying restriction in the way Knoppix works that I will never get what I want?

Thanks to all in advance!

Have a great day. James. :o)

For some reason, the link that I had included with this post was removed. So, if you are interested in the graphics project that I'm working on, do a search on EZFB. It has been available as freeware since 2000. It has been used to develop several embedded Linux projects and by manufacturers to improve the performance of LCD drivers. The application that I am most interested in demonstrating with a Knoppix remaster is called LaserBoy. It was started in 2003.