PDA

View Full Version : network card not detected

Ceemann
09-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Hi All
Ive just installed knoppix 5.0.1 onto my pc, all my other hardware seems to work except my wireless network card (mimo xr wl-150) ive managed to get the chipset which is ralink tech, ive downloaded the firmware and dont know how & what to do to get my network card working under knoppix. Please help as this is my first time tying out linux & im determined to move away from windoze!

Cheers! :)

Harry Kuhman
09-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Unfortunately, Knoppix isn't particularly strong in the wireless support area, and version 5.0.1 seems to be a big step backwards from 4.02, many of us including myself who had the rare card that did work under 4.02 find that the same card no longer works under 5.0.1 (although some users have cards that still seem to work under 5.0.1).

Further complicating things is that some cards are not supported under Linux at all, the manufacturers have not released specs for the chip sets and the developer community have not figured out the programming of the chip sets yet.

My advice would be to enjoy Knoppix for what it is, a Live CD. If you can plug a normal wired ethernet controler in that should be recognized and work fine (I would avoid USB to ethernet adapters though). When it comes time to install a version of Linux you may wish to shop around a bit and find a version that supports your NIC (assuming that you determine that your NIC is supported by Linux). While Knoppix supported one NIC I have, I found that several other wireless NICS that it would never recognize were recognized and supported by Mandriva, Puppy Linux and Gentoo. They may well have been supported by a normal Debian etch install also, I didn't check, as my installed Debian system is on a wired desktop that can't take a pcmcia card.

rec9140
09-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi All
Ive just installed knoppix 5.0.1 onto my pc, all my other hardware seems to work except my wireless network card (mimo xr wl-150) ive managed to get the chipset which is ralink tech, ive downloaded the firmware and dont know how & what to do to get my network card working under knoppix. Please help as this is my first time tying out linux & im determined to move away from windoze!

You can look into the ndiswrapper method to use the winvirus drivers if you want.

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

Basically it allows you to use the winvirus drivers under Linux.

Its not for the faint of heat, but it might solve the problem for you.