PDA

View Full Version : upgrading after Hdd Install to new version of Knoppix

mrnobody
05-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Hello,
I would like to update my hdd install to include those changes that are made in the new version of Knoppix. For example, I just installed 2003_5_3 and I'd like to update to the 2003_5_16 version. I do not want to track all Debian changes since Knoppix seems quite stable(thank you)

Is there an easy way to do this by using apt-get somehow? Or is there a way to do this by downloading iso image and somehow upgrading from a new CD version?

Regards
mr n

Henk Poley
05-17-2003, 05:06 PM
I would like to update my hdd install to include those changes that are made in the new version of Knoppix.
I don't think there is an easy way, though you can boot a Knoppix CD, use the partition programs (qtparted) to make some room for a dedicated /home partition.

You then install the newest Knoppix on the same partition as it was before, and edit /etc/fstab to mount the new partition as /home :-)

There is a good walktrough in the docs on this site.

mrnobody
05-17-2003, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. So you are suggesting that I put all changes into a /home partition and then install the new CD each time into the root "/" partition? The problem is that I have to carefully track installations and changes that do not go into /home. For example if I install something that ends up in /usr/bin, then I will have to reinstall each time? Or maybe I do not understand you mean?

Regards
Mr. N.

Henk Poley
05-17-2003, 06:12 PM
There is a good walktrough in the docs on this site.
WWJD? JWRTFM! :-P

But indeed, you would need to reinstall the programs you fetched yourself every time you update, but configs are saved because of backing up /home.

I think backing up /root micht be handy too. Would it be wise to do this the same way as /home?

Stephen
05-17-2003, 07:05 PM
If you want to keep your present packages and not have the new ones then:
dpkg --get-selections > selections.txt - To save your current packages for use after the new install
dpkg --set-selections < selections.txt - Restore the old package selections to new install.
apt-get update - Update packages available.
apt-get upgrade - Install the packages available.

If you want to keep your configuration settings for the programs you have installed then backup your /etc directory and restore after the new install and if you want your home directory settings kept then back this up and restore after the new install.