PDA

View Full Version : kanotix blank login screen after performing updates.

dnr_ron
09-21-2006, 11:49 PM
i installed kanotix 2006 on a hard drive on a Dell Optiplex 350MHz with 128MB ram. I was pleasantly surprised to see how well it performed.
Then I did the apt-get updates and restarted the computer. I saw the penguins on the blue background and the startup sequence progress bar. Then, the penguins disappeared but the bar continued to move across the screen. When the progress reached the end, a quick flash on the screen showed me the usual startup steps that were performed. But the screen disappeared before i could read anything.
Then my monitor turned off. After trial and error, I discovered that if I powered off the monitor and restarted it, the screen was still black at the point where it should be asking me for the user password. So I went ahead and typed the password in anyway and the Kanotix desktop came up as it did before the updates. No hardware or software problems that I can see.
What happened? And what should I do next? If this involves log files, you'll need to walk me through that. I wouldn't even know where to look.
Thanks and great performance job on the newest version of Kanotix.