PDA

View Full Version : remastering knoppix 5.01 for Chinese support

pubo
09-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Need some additional steps as Knoppix 5.0.1 uses specific fonts for KDE (such as Bitstream Seris).

If you follows the remastering steps for previous revision (e.g. knoppix 4.0.2) to install Chinese support, the Chinese characters won't display correctly in all the windows, desktop and terminal. They woould simply displayed as empty square blocks.

To fix this, I have to edit the files in /etc/skel to use general font names such as "Sans Serif" or "Sans" or "Monospace". (Just do grep of 'font' and 'Font' and '0,0,0,0' to identify the files to change.)

I wonder maybe there is a better solution, such as creatubg a local.con file in /etc/fonts. But I have tried that without success. Could someone shed a light how to do that in local.con file? Just want to use the default knoppix fonts but tell system to use Chinese fonts when display Chinese characters.

BTW you will need to specify the version when using the apt-get install to install some of the Chinese package, such as kde-i18n-zh-cn, stardic etc. Need to specify /testing distribution as the stable distribution is not compatible with knoppix 5.0.1. (e.g. apt-get install kde-i18n-zh-cn/testing)