PDA

View Full Version : HD not shown on knoppix desktop

thetoxicmind
09-23-2006, 02:35 PM
finally dwnldd & burnt a cd of Knoppix 5.0.1...
got this soft for trying to recover some data from my HP notebook's TOSHIBA (MK3013GAO) HD... (think it crashed earlier wasn't able to boot)
everythin went fine...de install of knoppix..de boot..
it jus smoothly went on till de knoppix desktop...
But in the desktop i WASN'T ABLE TO FIND MY HARDDISK..it had an icon called "Hard disk hda1"..but that wasn't my harddisk..((it even detected my harddisk at knoppix startup/boot)

Y ISN'T IT EVEN DETECTING MY HARDDISK...

and how do i DISABLE "dma" for my harddisk..?

PLZZ HELP..
my 30gb HD is at stake...

Thnx guys..v

Harry Kuhman
09-23-2006, 03:42 PM
1) See the second "sticky" note in the top of this forum and answer
#7 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman). Please edit your subject line.

2) Posting the same or basically the same question in multiple forums here is considered bad form or a form of "spamming the forums". I have removed your other post that duplicated this one.

thetoxicmind
09-23-2006, 03:45 PM
sorry...didn't know that..
but can anyone please help me out with this problem ?

Harry Kuhman
09-23-2006, 03:49 PM
No help from me until you use the edit feature to fix that subject line. I will not stop others from helping you, but many feel as I do and don't want to see posts with "help me" subject lines.

thetoxicmind
09-23-2006, 04:16 PM
i chnged it sometime back..

Harry Kuhman
09-23-2006, 04:34 PM
i chnged it sometime back..
Well, you can see from the timestamps that only 1 minute passed between when you edited it and I posted my response. Reading yours, typing my feedback and proofing took more than a minute (I'm both a slow and bad typist), so I started responding well before the fix was made.

.....it had an icon called "Hard disk hda1"..but that wasn't my harddisk..
What do you think hda1 is if it isn't your hard disk (or more accurately, the first physical partition on the hard disk, but that's what you really want). Knoppix finds hda1 on my HP notebook just fine. Of course, I've had Windows screw up NTFS partitions so badly that even Knoppix can't open them, this seems to be a regular "feature" of Windows if you read the forums a bit.

...and how do i DISABLE "dma" for my harddisk..?
Follow the documentation link near the top of this page and read the wiki section on "cheat codes". The code that answers the question that you ask is knoppix nodma but I don't expect that you need or want it - my HP notebook does not need it, I think your problem is elsewhere.