PDA

View Full Version : Networking on MSI nforce 420D/nvnet Drivers

Kong the Medium
01-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Hello,
i'm trying to convert some W2k computers to dualboot with an Knoppix HD-Install. All the machines are run-of-the-mill MSI Nforce 420D's (VGA, NIC,Sound all onboard). Naturally i'm testing a boot from CD on one of the machines.
Everything works fine, except the networking, even the sound was working. netcardconfig ends with "No supported devices found".

I found the Unified Linux-Drivers on the Nvidia-Website and tried to install them on the machine booted from CD by compiling them from the tar.gz. make ended with an error while compiling the sounddrivers,which i don't need, but compiled the nvnet-module. So , blue-eyed as i am, i tried make install. here the error was that /lib/modules/ is read-only, which is understandable because the directory resides on the CD :-).
Since the Unified Linux-Drivers seem to be released under GNU-Licence, it should be possible to include them in a Knoppix-distro with the Nvnet drivers ready for installation? Or should i try a not documented "cheatcode"?

I would try it myself , but step 2 of the customising-faq says "Configure your internet connection", which doesn't work without networking :-(