PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard trouble

horizon981
09-25-2006, 02:08 PM
I have Installed Knoppix 3.3 on my hard drive. Somehow, the keyboard has gone nuts.
I mean, when I press "y" it shows "z" etc. Also, the sequence of special characters seems to be altered.
Is this some other keyboard layout? If yes, how do I change it??
I remember that when I used to run it from CD, everything was fine. The online documentation says that on the boot prompt, you should type "knoppix keyboard=uk " etc etc, however, I have a dual boot system and don't see a boot prompt. Is there a permanent solution?

Thanks in advance. :D

Jacky
09-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi,

You appear to have a German keyboard layout. Not sure how you ended up with it. May be you downloaded a German version of Knoppix.

Below is a solution which worked for someone with a different problem but who needed to set his X to UK keyboard. It involves editing the x.conf file. Perhaps it might work for you:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25088&highlight=uk+keyboard

Regards.

horizon981
09-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Well, here's some real BAD news. There's no xorg.conf file under /etc/X11 !!!!
Now what do I edit??

malaire
09-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Well, here's some real BAD news. There's no xorg.conf file under /etc/X11 !!!!
Now what do I edit??

Try either /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. I have both but I'm not sure about which one should be edited.
These files uses the same format as xorg.conf in newer Knoppixes.

horizon981
09-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Yes, I accidently figured that out. In XF86config, I can see something like this:

section "keyboard"
type: etc etc

end section

However, I already have
# XkbLayout "us"

as US. Now what to do?

I tried another thing. I booted from cd with
knoppix keyboard=uk lang=uk
and again installed it onto hard drive but the problem persists. :(

If the solution lies in re-installing, im ready for that. But plz tell what to do...

malaire
09-25-2006, 05:29 PM
However, I already have
# XkbLayout "us"

You need to remove the '#' characted at the beginning of that line. Otherwise that line won't take any effect.
(Lines starting with '#' in that file are ignored.)

horizon981
09-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Well, I logged in as root user, and opened all the files containing "config" in their name in the X11 folder.
I removed all #s in the section "Keyboard" and in a few files where XkbLayout was "de", changed it to "us".(what is "de"??)

I rebooted and logged in as knoppix, and nothing has happened!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

This observation might be of interest:
1.The keyboard works fine when running Knoppix from CD.
2.The keyboard works fine for "root" user.
3.The keboard does NOT work fine for "knoppix" user.

HELP!!!!!

Jacky
09-26-2006, 07:21 AM
"de" is the two-letter code which stands for "German" or "Germany".

From the steps you have described, you have set the default keyboard layout to "US". Now you need to set it for the "knoppix" user.

Try this:

1) Open to the K menu at the lower left corner, select Settings > Control Center
2) In Control Center, select Regional and Accessibility > Keyboard Layout
3) You will see a whole list of available layouts. Ensure "us" has been selected as one of the "active layouts" in the right hand column. Use the up and down arrow buttons to move "us" to the top, above the other active layouts. Click "apply".
4) You should now see a small US flag on the lower right of the task bar at the bottom of the screen.
5) A quick way of switching between keyboard layouts is by right-clicking on the flag. Before you switched to "us", do you see a German flag there? It is composed of black, red and gold stripes. There are the letters "de" in it.

Finally, since you are using a German version, and want to use it in English, can I strongly suggest that you download an English version instead? This will save you lots of other trouble later on, because you may find programmes popping up in German and there will be other settings you need to change. When downloading, look out for "en" in the file name, that will be the English version. E.g.

KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-DE.iso (German version)
KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso (English version)

Regards.

horizon981
09-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Hey, thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ONE WORKED!!

THANKS ONCE AGAIN AND ONCE AGAIN AND ONCE AGAIN!!!