PDA

View Full Version : Cable Internet connection howto?

interceptor
09-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Hi!

I have a problem with my cable connection. I can't find where to enter Username/Password for it.

In WindowsXP I just start the Wizard and in 10 secs-voila!

I have a cable modem plugged into a switch to which my other computers are connected. In WinXp I only need usr/pass and ip address on my network configured...

Please don't start me on with a router because I can't imagine that stupid Windows can handle the situation without one?

Best regards

johnbb
09-27-2006, 02:53 AM
This reply is not much help to you, but congratulations on joining the 'club".

I too am in the same boat as you,(see the thread "Inability to connect to the Internet").

My experience is similar to yours, in Windows XP it is a ten second operation.

In Linux it seems that we need the experts more deeply immersed in the technicalities of the system, to create an easy to use tool for our type of connection.

If you get any practical answers on 'How To', I for one, will be watching.

The best of luck.

Harry Kuhman
09-27-2006, 04:22 AM
In most locations cable connections don't use a username/password. Apparently there are some new systems that do, and at least some seem to use pppoe. While there is a pppoe tool included with Knoppix, my suggestion for this is in answer #4 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

interceptor
09-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks man,

but no offense (I see that you are very helpfull in this forum), you and all of other sites or forums keep talking about router.

Now,
would you be kind enough to explain to me how a router is going to give username and pasword to my provider?

thanks!

@johnbb

I rea your topic, but it seems to be taking wrong turns-away from the subject. I know how hard is it to get a straight answer in any Linux forum, since they have problem explaining it the straight and simple way. Just be patient and persistant...

malaire
09-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks man,

but no offense (I see that you are very helpfull in this forum), you and all of other sites or forums keep talking about router.

Now,
would you be kind enough to explain to me how a router is going to give username and pasword to my provider?

From http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=107925#107925:

All home routers that I've used or seen have a web interface and are accessed and configured by putting an IP address into a browser in a computer connected to the router. After a password login (you should always change the default password, and this is absolutely critical on a wireless router), you can configure the router. This ranges from simple things like the type of connection to the ISP and username/password for the ISP if needed, to advanced firewall and routing functions, ...

Harry Kuhman
09-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Sure. They have setup pages where you select the type of connection. If you select PPPoE or PPPoA, normally used fior DSL, there will be a place to provice the username and password. The router takes care of loggin in and all PPoE/PPPoA protocol, all computers on the local network get to share the connection via NAT through the router.

I suggest that you pick a couple of routers that are sold in your country and look up the manuals on the Internet, the manufacturers almost always make them available as pdf files. This will let you see this and many other things this simple device can do for you.

johnbb
10-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Harry,

Your said:

"If you select PPPoE or PPPoA, normally used for DSL, there will be a place to provide the username and password."

In this instance you are correct up to a point about the ID and password, BUT.... the tool also insists on a phone number to make a connection. No phone number, no connection. I know, I tried it.

There is another tool using a card configuration, and that doesn't work for me either, as ISP addresses are required and they are not provided by my IP, being automatically obtained.

I think this type of provider is called an IPTV high speed broadband connection.

I am subject to correction on this as I don't fully understand how to use the correct terminology, and have gleaned this knowledge from a number of sources. This type of ISP seems to have been around since 2000 at least, so it is not that "new" it now being 2006.

Harry Kuhman
10-03-2006, 01:16 PM
.... the tool also insists on a phone number to make a connection. No phone number, no connection. I know, I tried it.
You're beating a dead horse. Rusty already showed you in another thread where to configure this for pppoe/pppoa and it requires no phone number. I tried it, no phone number was requested. You even said that you tried it in that other thread and it gave you a message that it had done the pppoe setup without ever asking for a phone number, but you still failed to connect. I very much believe that you hit some other problem but you seem to refuse to consider that. PPP tools requite a phone number. PPTP tools require a phone number. Dial up modem tools that use PPP or PPTP require a phone number. But PPPoE/PPPoA does not require a phone number and can not use a phone nymber.

interceptor
10-07-2006, 08:09 AM
@johnbb

ok, here goes...

i've found a small program for lin that could be the solution for us, but still haven't got the time to try it. it is called ROARING PENGUIN. you should give it a go, i know i am? :lol: