PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 5.0 can't find KNOPPIX file system Please HELP

Hybrid666
09-26-2006, 04:21 PM
My XP Laptop won't bootand i have been told that i could use Knoppix to save my files and then reformat the hard drive. So I downloaded the Knoppix 5.0 cd and burnt it on a CD-RW as an image.
I managed to boot from the cd but all of a sudden this came up:
"Accessing KNOPPIX CD at /dev/hdc...insmod: can't read '/cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/cloop.ko': I/0 error
Can't find Knoppix Filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you into a (very limited) shell."
I dont know what to do, I desperately want to save the data on my laptop and reformat it, but knoppix won't let me.
Have i done something wrong? Do I need to change something in /modules?
Please help me get it up and running so i can finally use my laptop again. I would be extremely thankful for any help whatsoever.
thank you everyone
Armin

rec9140
09-26-2006, 07:53 PM
My XP Laptop won't bootand i have been told that i could use Knoppix to save my files and then reformat the hard drive. So I downloaded the Knoppix 5.0 cd and burnt it on a CD-RW as an image.
I managed to boot from the cd but all of a sudden this came up:
"Accessing KNOPPIX CD at /dev/hdc...insmod: can't read '/cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/cloop.ko': I/0 error
Can't find Knoppix Filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you into a (very limited) shell."

Sounds to me like you have a bad iSO or possibly bad hardware.

Get some MD5 sum checking software check your ISO before burning it. If it checks out then you may have a bad CD ROM drive.

Download VMPlayer to see that the ISO boots up before creating a CD/DVD.

VMPlayer is FREE software that allows you to run another OS on a PC that has say winvirus XP as its main (host) OS and Linux like, oh say Knoppix, as another "virtual machine." You can even do the exact opposite... Linux Host and a winvirus guest for the unduplicated software products. You can get it at http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html Then download the Live CD Appliance http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/56

This is real easy to do, this is now how I try out the flavor du jour distro.

If the ISO runs in the VMPlayer then you have a hardware issue to correct, most likely swap with a known good CDROM drive.

glaverneflambeau
09-26-2006, 08:09 PM
I would download, burn to CD and run hardware diagnostics on the laptop. MEMTEST86 is a good start. If the laptop has a hard drive diagnostics try that.
Typically the manufacturer of your hard drive will have an ISO you can download and burn then boot to for diagnostics.
Older versions of Ultimate Boot CD had Maxtor diagnostics 4.09 that would test just about any drive.

You could also try the previous version of Knoppix. There are a couplel reports here of 5.0 not booting on some systems.

Remember that the older versions of Knoppix did not support writing to an NTFS hard drive. Most external hard drives come from the factory formatted as FAT32 so you are probably ok on that score.

nicholas
10-02-2006, 07:24 PM
You must wrote in booting console this string: knoppix bootfrom=/dev/mnt/hdb2. Ussualy maintainer error

Ryther
10-20-2006, 02:10 AM
I too am having the above problem I have just formatted my hd and reinstalled a new os WXP Pro SP2 and it says cannton find knoppix file system i am so effin lost right now but i know the cd works my friend used it b4

Harry Kuhman
10-20-2006, 02:31 AM
.... but i know the cd works my friend used it b4
That means absolutely nothing; read the downloading faq to see why.