PDA

View Full Version : The Top Distros.....(linux/BSD)

yozef
09-27-2006, 06:51 AM
[quote=K.Mandla;1549064]That's funny somehow. If I had to guess, months ago when you started posting your distro-hopping experiences, I would not have even thought of Knoppix.

But that's cool. I'm with you on Ubuntu and Dreamlinux. Personally, I think DL has the potential to mature into a very strong distro.

I'll have to look closer at Knoppix and Sabayon, since they come with such strong endorsements. ...

[quote=yozef;1549296]
I am reinstalling Sabayon...I miss the bling...

I honestly believe Sabayon will be the distro to put OS X and windows to shame....Sabayon is the first serious Linux OS contender....Dreamlinux is nice also but isn't quite there yet....they will be soon...

The thing with Sabayon is you really need the latest and greatest in hardware and lots of space....this is why the future belongs to Sabayon....

If you want to see the future of operating systems try Sabayon today...

If you want to see what OS X could be if it was GNU + Linux try Dreamlinux....

If you want unrivaled reliability, a true technical gem in the Linux world stick with Knoppix.

If you want a reliable OS, with a wonderful community, stick with Ubuntu.

If you want to dabble in BSD, then try PC-BSD.

1. Sabayon Linux

2. Dreamlinux

3. Knoppix

4. Ubuntu

5. PC-BSD

__________________________________________________ __________________________
The following poll will be posted in multiply forums to get better percentages:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9098/displaysq4.png

The Top Distros (Linux/BSD) are listed below; which do you like the best or
feel has the most potential? (click an item to vote, you can make multiple choices)

Sabayon Linux (http://polls.detrave.net/respond.php?id=1150&c=1)

Dreamlinux (http://polls.detrave.net/respond.php?id=1150&c=2)

Knoppix (http://polls.detrave.net/respond.php?id=1150&c=3)

Ubuntu (http://polls.detrave.net/respond.php?id=1150&c=4)

PC-BSD (http://polls.detrave.net/respond.php?id=1150&c=5)

yozef
09-27-2006, 11:57 AM
the above pie graph is a static image....

here are the current results(image may not be postable in this forum, so you may have to link to the image)

http://polls.detrave.net/display.php?id=1150&bg=626262&p=1

drb
09-27-2006, 12:47 PM
What is this thread about?

Which is the best Linux? Then vote for 1 of these 5? And 14.3% = 1 vote by simple analysis!!!

yozef
09-29-2006, 03:06 AM

Which is the best Linux? Then vote for 1 of these 5? And 14.3% = 1 vote by simple analysis!!!

Interesting perspective....Knoppix is my favorite and my primary OS.....

what is this about?

This is about a guy who loves to test distros 60+

and has come up with a list...of the top 5 distros,....based on what? based on hardware preformance....

I test on two different computers, an older computer and a newer computer,...with advanced hardware....

Debian was not included because Debian will not work on my new computer, Ubuntu won't either so why include Ubuntu? because Ubuntu works on my older computer...subjectivity is the key here.....

this is not meant to be a set standard of any sort...

this isn't meant to be spam (which I consider the worst and most insultive word on a forum) this coming from a guy who runs his own Linux Portal, which includes a Linux Forum....(I also happen to be a mod on Ubuntuforums)...which I constantly post how great Knoppix is and not one word of spam...I guess this is a difference in community?

here take a look at how the Ubuntu community welcomes a thread dedicated to Knoppix
Title: "I find Knoppix the best to install and use ! (after trying a lot of distros [50+]"
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=262529

now as far as the spam assertion in the poll I find a bit offensive especially how I have constantly recommended and refered Knoppix.

to see what I am about go to the non-profit foundation I have started: http://cafelinux.org/

I still like knoppix and always will,....my apologies for not being more active in the community here but I have been busy...

cheers

yozef

yozef
09-29-2006, 03:28 AM

again the above image is static....I posted a link for you to see the most recent results....

here's an image of where things stand now:

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/1781/displaysx2.png

Why is Ubuntu being singled out? Knoppix and Dreamlinux are both also based on Debian, both are on the list....the assertion in the Poll title makes NO sense.

It saddens me greatly to find the forum community of my favorite distro to be so unwelcoming....I even promote Knoppix on The cafelinux.org homepage.....sadly I find this...very sad

drb
09-29-2006, 07:43 AM
I'd try Kanotix if you say "Debian" doesn't work on your computer. I haven't found one computer it doesn't work on in two years from PIII upwards. It's Debian with better hardware detection.

I used to think Knoppix for LiveCD use and Kanotix for a hard drive install but I now use Kanotix for both. These are all developments and Knoppix was the seed for many distros to start, and improve, from the original. What is 'improvement' - for some it's Kanotix, for some it's Ubuntu etc. - both very different so defining the 'best' is difficult as peoples' requirements are so different.

yozef
09-29-2006, 08:11 AM
I'd try Kanotix if you say "Debian" doesn't work on your computer. I haven't found one computer it doesn't work on in two years from PIII upwards. It's Debian with better hardware detection.

I used to think Knoppix for LiveCD use and Kanotix for a hard drive install but I now use Kanotix for both. These are all developments and Knoppix was the seed for many distros to start, and improve, from the original. What is 'improvement' - for some it's Kanotix, for some it's Ubuntu etc. - both very different so defining the 'best' is difficult as peoples' requirements are so different.

This is the third recommendation for Kanotix....so I will difinately try this....I am also going to try the most recent Debian version, I hope it works I have heard great reviews about Etch

malaire
09-29-2006, 01:50 PM
About the "is this spam" poll:
I didn't find any of the options good-enough so I couldn't vote on it.

About the "Top Distro" poll:

IMHO this is on-topic and is not spam.

At the same time I feel that the original poll was presented wrongly. The information given in 4th message in this thread, about how these distros were selected, should've been in the first message. In that case I wouldn't have anything against this.

But now I felt offended with such a strange selection of "5 Top Distros".

yozef
09-30-2006, 08:13 AM
About the "is this spam" poll:

But now I felt offended with such a strange selection of "5 Top Distros".

LOL,....the top five listed are not meant to please everybody and are completely subjective....

at most I had hoped to inspire discourse on the subject matter of Linux Distros.....

For the most part in most forums this has been succesful

It is of course better where people know me well and can accept and appreciate my quarks(strangeness)...

I will become more active overall in Knoppix Forums, since I really like Knoppix a lot....I have mostly turned to my Knoppix Hacks book when I needed help and for the most part Knoppix is so easy to use there isn't much I haven't been able to just figure out....

I have come across a lot of Distros that I like that are based on (or atleast in part) on Knoppix

ie: Kinneret, Musix, Dreamlinux, Xplora, Quantian, etc, etc (I am sure I may have forgotten one or two?)

yozef
10-07-2006, 06:22 AM

I tried Kanotix and was very disappointed, It is basically Knoppix that doesn't work.

ockham23
10-07-2006, 09:15 AM
I tried Kanotix and was very disappointed, It is basically Knoppix that doesn't work.Sorry, but I totally disagree with you. Kanotix is my first choice for LiveCD and HD-install.

drb
10-07-2006, 02:48 PM
It isn't Knoppix (basic or otherwise) and it does work . . . very well!

Jacky
10-08-2006, 03:50 AM
Kanotix is very nice and works very well, I was going to switch to Kanotix until I found out that the developers/mods at the forum don't give help to remasters and speak out against remastering -- I find that attitude a bit unfair considering that Kanotix is a much reworked remaster of Knoppix. Just open a Kanotix console and you see the username is knoppix -- the CDrom file structure says /cdrom/KNOPPIX.....

ockham23
10-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Jacky, you're right, remastering is a sore point. But the developers don't interfere with users' attempts to remaster Kanotix. You can openly discuss this topic in the forum, even complain about it, and there's also some information on it in the Wiki. Unfortunately Kanotix has much less users than Knoppix, so there aren't enough advanced users to start a serious discussion.

Jacky
10-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Ockham23, what annoyed me was that in one of the threads about remastering (I think you were there as a participant), the mod appeared to be withholding knowledge. He said that most howtos on the net were incomplete or even false........and would not work with Kanotix........., which suggests that he had some inside knowledge about the right way to do it, but was not telling. This somehow seems to violate the spirit of free software.

The mod gave some reasons why Kanotix should not be remastered, but ignored many good reasons why remastering is necessary. Like the Italian professor who wanted to put some stuff so that his students would be attracted to use Linux for schoolwork, for example. Or something very simple, like needing to add a language pack.

Anyway if you are planning to remaster Kanotix, why don't you document the steps and post it here. I am sure users here would appreciate it, and so would a number of Kanotix forum people. I will add to it when I get round to trying a remaster myself.

yozef
10-11-2006, 04:01 AM
I tried Kanotix and was very disappointed, It is basically Knoppix that doesn't work.Sorry, but I totally disagree with you. Kanotix is my first choice for LiveCD and HD-install.

It's not about agreement or disagreement it's just Kanotix just doesn't work for me on my hardware...I'll stick with Knoppix

drb
10-11-2006, 10:03 AM
What hardware do you have, in particular which hardware didn't work. It would be interesting to know what didn't work with Kanotix but somehow works with other distros.

markpreston
10-14-2006, 07:34 AM
I've been using a remastered Kanotix distribution called Paipix for my hard disk OS for the
past six months and been very happy with it.

http://aamorimsrv.fis.fc.ul.pt/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=PaiPix_EN

gives details.

Until I read this thread I didn't know about Kanotix developers antipathy towards remastering, which surprises me, but that is one advantage of free software: At the end of the day it's not important what they think in this regard, because they can't dictate and say "you mustn't remaster", they can just advise you. Nine months ago Kanotix was the only distribution to recognise all my hardware, in particular a Gigabit Lan.
See
http://i915ga.gratiswiki.dk/cgi-bin/gratiswiki.pl?Mark_Preston

As a more general observation I would say that for any particular PC hardware it may be a good idea to have a variety of Linux distros available for possible installation, because one or more probably won't install happily. This is a big advantage of live distros - you can try the live version and if it won't boot then you just move on to another, or start messing with the cheatcodes :D

yozef
10-17-2006, 07:40 AM
What hardware do you have, in particular which hardware didn't work. It would be interesting to know what didn't work with Kanotix but somehow works with other distros.

I finally got Kanotix to work....unfortunately I don't like it as much as Knoppix....it is pretty awesome overall I just prefer Knoppix installed on my hard drive....

It would be helpful if a kanotix user could list the pros and cons of using Kanotix and what is fundamentally different from Kanotix and Knoppix?

drb
10-17-2006, 08:43 PM
See slam's contribution to "why was Kanotix created"

http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-21501-postdays-0-postorder-asc.html

The emphasis of Knoppix appears to still be towards LiveCD use. The Kanotix LiveCD is a LIveCD but also is a great starting point for a HD install with excellent Debian Sid compatibility. My Kanotix install has been dist-upgraded every day for the last 11 months and it hasn't broken yet with numerous package installations over that period.

j.drake
12-30-2006, 04:27 AM
>>"It would be helpful if a kanotix user could list the pros and cons of using Kanotix and what is fundamentally different from Kanotix and Knoppix?"<<

Not much point, now that there has been a major split at Kanotix. Looks like Kanotix is going to be Ubuntu based from now on, but most of the people who held to the Kanotix vision have formed Sidux.com (based on Debian Sid), and are trying to release v1.0 before the end of the year. They already have fantastic documentation at Sidux.com, if you're interested. Kanotix was my favorite, but they stopped innovating. I have high hopes for Sidux.