View Full Version : Can't boot from Knoppix 5.01

newer2knoppix
09-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Hello. First off here is my system
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model KM266A-8235
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1494 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 9/16/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer
User Name
Time Zone Taipei Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 128.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 11.58 MB
Total Virtual Memory 336.17 MB
Available Virtual Memory 44.08 MB
Page File Space 240.68 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

The live cd does not want to run but it does boot-up and then hangs.

Something about a "partition error" or "partition does not exist" and then it just hangs.

Is my memory enough (this is just a spare computer) and I wanted to try out the live cd but I failed.

Thanks!

Harry Kuhman
09-27-2006, 09:45 AM
128 meg is amazingly little for xp pro, you would have been better off spending less on the OS and more on memory. As to Knoppix, 128 is cutting it close for KDE, the default gui. Things are even worse if this system has on-board video taking some of that memory. And we don't even know yet that the disk was burned properly (although the booting and then failing is a sign that you at least know how to burn an ISO). I would suggest that you look at the cheat codes, there is an optionto try to boot just into text mode, which will tell you if it's a gui issue or not. There are also cheat codes for less memory demanding guis than KDE if you want to try a different gui.

newer2knoppix
09-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Hello.

The exact problem is "no partition available for swap file" .... even after it attempt to create one.

Is this because it is purely ntfs? How do I create a portion for swapfiles...fat?

thanks!

malaire
09-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Hello.

The exact problem is "no partition available for swap file" .... even after it attempt to create one.

Is this because it is purely ntfs? How do I create a portion for swapfiles...fat?

thanks!

One option would be to download GParted LiveCD (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php) (~30MB) and use that to create a FAT32 partition.
You can also use that to shrink the NTFS partition first, if needed.
EDIT: You can also create a linux-swap partition with it. :)

Also, it's recommended to have a backup when changing partitions.

Harry Kuhman
09-27-2006, 11:46 AM
yea, Knoppix can't safely write to NTFS (there are rumors that it might be able to in 5.0.1 but many don't trust them). If you had a fat partition available you could create one there, but your ntfs partition likely takes up all the space. If you had available disk space for a fat partition you could just create a Linux swap partition instead, that should be more efficent (but a fat partition may have more utility, since Knoppix can't save data to that ntfs partition either).