PDA

View Full Version : boot floppies when a pc has a very old cdrom

dicktracy
09-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Hi, is there a way that I can install from floppy disks that can allow me to move files from my hard drive to a flash drive. I would use a bootcd except the dell pc I'm working with doesn't read many brands of cdrs. I know this because a linux boot cd that works in a different pc just fine can't even be read in windows or dos with the dell pc. Also I know the dell pc can boot from cd because it boots from a windows 2000 boot cd I have. Rather than try to figure out which brand of cdr will work as a boot cd in the dell pc I would like to try booting from floppies. Basically I just want to be able to move locked system files from the hard drive of the dell pc to a flash drive. These system files can't be moved from the hard drive within windows. Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
09-27-2006, 10:56 PM
1) Knoppix is not suitable for installing, there are many problems involved. If you want to install, consider Debian or some distro intended for hard disk.

2) Do you have any idea how many floppies it would take to hold Knoppix? And no, no one has put Knoppix on Floppies.

3) If you want to run Knoppix, not install it, then I suggest that you likely made the CD inproperly, likely by burning at high speed. See answer #1 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).