PDA

View Full Version : It is planned USB2 support for disk storage system?

toni
05-18-2003, 03:09 AM
I have an external Fujitsu handy drive where I mount /home/knoppix, but it is mounted only as usb1. Redhat 9.0 mounts it as a usb2 drive, and is really faster on disk transference and directory browsing.
I think there is a lot of people with same problem. usb1 is too slow for disk storage system.
It is planned to add usb2 support on knoppix before kernel 2.6?

toni
05-19-2003, 08:02 PM
There is no another one interested in usb2 support in knoppix?
it's incredible!..
Where do you save your /home/knoppix or your data? in floppydisks?

eadz
05-19-2003, 09:05 PM
There is no another one interested in usb2 support in knoppix?
it's incredible!..
Where do you save your /home/knoppix or your data? in floppydisks?

I dont think anyone knows. Can you find out what redhat did to it's kernel to make it work?

garyng
05-20-2003, 03:57 AM
the kernel KNOPPIX used should have support for USB2(though everyone said that 2.5 is much better for USB2, IEEE394 etc.). It could be that the loading sequence of the driver that affect this, like the USB 1.1 driver being loaded(and used), instead of the high speed driver.

Pasq
05-20-2003, 07:11 AM
Look, if tehre is loaded a ehci-hcd module, lsmod function. If not, try insmod ehci-hcd.

But first check if you have USB 2.0 port, and your device support it.

garyng
05-20-2003, 07:20 AM
Look, if tehre is loaded a ehci-hcd module, lsmod function. If not, try insmod ehci-hcd.

But first check if you have USB 2.0 port, and your device support it.

The standard knoppix-autoconfig does not load ehci-hcd at all, only uhci, ohci

Pasq
05-20-2003, 07:41 AM
I don't know why, but sometime, on my laptop with PCMCIA USB 2.0, ehci-hcd is loaded, and sometimes not. It is strange, but it is worth to try.

toni
05-20-2003, 06:39 PM
Yes, I have a usb2 controller card, and a usb2 hard disk (Fujitsu handy drive 40 GB), and in redhat9 it has high speed like a usb2 (perhaps 10 MB/s), and module ehci-usb is loaded.
In last knoppix cd's, this drive runs well, but it has only usb1.1 speed. It is very slowly if you use this as a primary drive and/or open directories on it. Only uhci-usb module are loaded (not ehci-usb).

I have read that redhat have a kernel 2.4.21-pre that has a patch from kernel 2.5 and thus it's speed.

Mmmm. Anyway, i don't know if knoppix have usb2 compiled in kernel or as a module, or not. It's seems not.

I have found part of the answer in knoppix mailing list:
http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix/2003-April/002676.html

Although i have said, i think that knoppix is a superb linux distribution.

Pasq
05-20-2003, 06:53 PM
ehci-hcd is compiled as a module, just run insmod ehci-hcd if it isn't loaded on start. what version of knoppix do you have ?

toni
05-22-2003, 05:05 PM
I will try it. It is possible to run it automatically on start?
Thank you.

I have knoppix version KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-05-03-EN.iso

Pasq
05-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Without customization and remastering, I don't think so.

toni
05-22-2003, 09:12 PM
>Without customization and remastering, I don't think so.

Then... It works!!!
Thank you.

lsmod show no ehci module loaded. Then i do:

root@ttyp0[knoppix]# insmod ehci-hcd
Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/usb/hcd/ehci-hcd.o

doing lsmod again, i have first module is ehci:

root@ttyp0[knoppix]# lsmod
Module Size Used by Not tainted
ehci-hcd 14696 0 (unused)

and, efectively, if i copy a 45 MB file from /mnt/sda1 to /tmp, it does at about 8-9 MB/s. It is more speed than is capable usb1.

I don't understand how it works, but it works.

And it seems that usb2 support will be better in next kernel version 2.4.21.

Pasq
05-22-2003, 09:54 PM
I don't think, that it will be beter, it is good enough, it is only a matter of loading property module. If you installed your own linux, you could compile USB2.0 support into the kernel.

toni
06-19-2003, 09:02 AM
Well, loading usb2 kernel module using insmod, works, but latelly i have some problems.
I use /home/knoppix on a usb2 drive, and have a directory like /home/knoppix/programs. I have added a line in .bashrc to load usb2. The problem is that in some cases, when I shutdown system, it is not cleanly unmounted, and next time i boot, there is nothing on /home/knoppix/programs -nor i can write nothing in it-, and i have to check /home/knoppix partition (knoppix.img). After check it, all works fine again (all missed in /home/knoppix/programs, "re-appear").
I suposse it is problem from usb2 module that not works as fine as usb1 module. Because using usb1 i had no problems.
Maybe solution will be usb2 in kernel 2.4.21? ;)