PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on solution to Internet problem

Flanker
09-29-2006, 04:32 AM
Can someone please explain to me what this person did to fix his internet problem?

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/knoppix-help-forum/63796-internet-connection-problems.html

I have the exact same problem as him, and the exact same motherboard (couldn't believe my luck when I saw that). I also cannot access the internet in any way; Firefox, Konqueror, and GAIM do not work.

He seems to have figured out his problem, however I have no idea what he did since I have minimal networking knowledge and no programming knowledge. I'm more of a hardware person...

marhleet
09-29-2006, 12:47 PM
I agree
/me slapz rostlin

more info required
(( I have an enquiring mind ))

malaire
09-29-2006, 01:09 PM
He seems to have figured out his problem, however I have no idea what he did since I have minimal networking knowledge and no programming knowledge. I'm more of a hardware person...

He seems to be saying that he only used command route add default gw <ip> where <ip> seems to be the ip-address of the gateway.
So if you know the ip-address of the gateway, and want to try that, just use that command from the Konsole and see if it helps.

Flanker
09-30-2006, 12:24 AM
I typed in "route add default gw 192.168.0.01" and it just gave me the error;

SIOCADDRT: Operation not permitted

Should I use the actual IP?

Harry Kuhman
09-30-2006, 03:26 AM
I typed in "route add default gw 192.168.0.01" and it just gave me the error;

SIOCADDRT: Operation not permitted

Should I use the actual IP?

What actual IP do you think that you could use for a default gateway? The likely reason that you got that error is that you probably tried to do it as the knoppix user and not as root. try sudo route add default gw 192.168.0.1 and see if that doesn't work.