PDA

View Full Version : ethernet detected though connection not established

Francesco Pietra
09-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Hardware fully working on Debian etch.
With KNOPPIX 5.0.1 from CD
Ethernet card detected

00:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. 21x4x DEC-Tulip compati
ble 10/100 Ethernet (rev 40)
Subsystem: Unknown device 4554:434e
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
Memory at cfffcf00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Expansion ROM at cff80000 [disabled] [size=256K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

line-led on Zyxel router blinks, though no internet connection is established. I also noticed durink knoppix launch that DHCP was launched.

# dhclient
which I use on debian, is not recognized by knoppix

thanks for help
francesco

Jacky
09-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Knoppix uses pump and not dhclient. This is one of the differences between Debian Etch and Knoppix. pump performs about the same functions as dhclient. I don't use it very often, but the options are all given in the man pump. To see what your network settings are, type pump -s. pump -i eth1 will make eth1 try to get an ip from your dhcp.

You can also try using the network card configuration option which is at Knoppix menu (penguin) -> network/internet -> network card configuration.

Francesco Pietra
09-29-2006, 07:02 PM
#pump
#pump -s
#pump -i eth1
all reported <operation failed>

#pump -i eth0
communicated with router but after a while <operation failed>

Re-tried network config: protocol dhcp
sending DHCP for device eth0
<failed>

I did not attempt no dhcp protocols, although I know data for router and provider, in fear of disrupting my networking in Debian at a period i cannot afford that.

In conclusion, for the time being, I am down with networking and worse with card reader (as an attempt before going to buy expensive flash card for a scientific travel in the south seas, ideally bringing with me knoppix and flash card). That is bad because i risk to bring with me an OpenOffice Impress presentation that I might like to change on place.

I recognize however that want I would like to have it is not so obvious to get.

francesco