PDA

View Full Version : problem with using netgear fa311

ryoken
05-18-2003, 03:13 AM
when using the netgear fa311 NIC, networking works fine under windows, but when this network card is used under knoppix, it doesnt seem to work at all. when i typed "ifconfig -a", it showed my loopback device, 127.0.0.1 (localhost), and my network card ( i presume) with its MAC/hardware address, but not IP address. however, i did notice there were transmit errors shown at the bottom for this network card.

i have a dhcp server running off the network, but it doesnt see it. even manually assigning an IP address doesn't allow it to ping to other systems on the network. and when i typed "ifconfig -a" again, it'll show even more transmit errors for the network card.

i have tried changing the irq for this card thru the BIOS (orginally it was IRQ 18 according to ifconfig, but after changing interrupt mode from APIC to PIC, IRQ was set to IRQ10). unfortunately, this made no difference either :(

i have, however, other PCs with this type of network card and knoppix networking works fine (ie. finds the dhcp server, and internet works, etc.)

hope this query hasnt already been answered in this forum b4...
if so, i would appriecate it if u could point me in the right direction!!!

Harry Kuhman
05-18-2003, 04:39 AM
Based on the facts you presented (running Windows on the same card, card is known to work under Linux), you might want to read the topic here I started titled Evidence WinXP "security updates" may break Linux. It sounds like the same symptoms I experienced.

ryoken
05-18-2003, 12:56 PM
thanx for your reply Harry! i did forget to mention that this network card + computer combo DOES work with other Linux Live-CDs with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever (eg. Slackware-Live CD, http://www.slackware-live.org). Also, I don't think I've installed WinXP with this network card or computer b4.

Also, does EEPROM refer to the BOOT ROM (PXE)? If so, I don't think this network card has one.

Ironi
05-18-2003, 08:13 PM
Based on the facts you presented (running Windows on the same card, card is known to work under Linux), you might want to read the topic here I started titled Evidence WinXP "security updates" may break Linux. It sounds like the same symptoms I experienced.
I think you're barking up the wrong tree this time. ;)

What kernel version is Knoppix using? I used to have a problem with errors too, until I enabled the "Natsemi Cable Magic" option. This option was removed in later kernels (the workaround was integrated for affected cards):

http://www.kernelnewbies.org/kernels/SuSE81/SOURCES/patches/50_natsemi_fixes1

+ version 1.0.15:
+ * Get rid of cable_magic flag
+ * use new (National provided) solution for cable magic issue

[...]
+static void do_cable_magic(struct net_device *dev)
+{
+ /*
+ * 100 MBit links with short cables can trip an issue with the chip.
+ * The problem manifests as lots of CRC errors and/or flickering
+ * activity LED while idle. This process is based on instructions
+ * from engineers at National.
[...]

ryoken
05-19-2003, 01:37 AM
ahhh.. ic :)

i think you're onto something Ironi. I'm using the latest version of knoppix (version 3.2), which i believe has kernel version 2.4.20 (from memory). so how do i enable this "Natsemi Cable Magic" option? will i have to recompile the kernel? or is there an option i can turn on?

Ironi
05-19-2003, 03:59 AM
ahhh.. ic :)

i think you're onto something Ironi. I'm using the latest version of knoppix (version 3.2), which i believe has kernel version 2.4.20 (from memory). so how do i enable this "Natsemi Cable Magic" option? will i have to recompile the kernel? or is there an option i can turn on?

It used to be that you'd have to select it as an option in the kernel config (if natsemi's not modular, that means recompiling).

However, this shouldn't be an issue with 2.4.20. Just checked myself, and it has the fix already (natsemi.c version 1.0.17). It must be something else. :(

ryoken
05-20-2003, 03:11 PM
damn! thanx for your help anyway! much appreicated!!!

but must say that this is bugging me... i must admit that knoppix is one of the better live-cd's i've used, and its annoying how i cant get the internet and network card working :( grrr...

i'm still open for further suggestions!!!

zhrinze
08-06-2003, 08:13 AM
My FA311 works without a hitch. I *did* have to replace one that acted "glitchy". I run mine by booting the CD on what would otherwise be a WinXP network computer to do Linux computing and to afford me the capability to move my Linux environment (I teach at a college which is a steadfast MS supporter :cry: ). I also give it to Linux students to learn from in a non-destructive environment on their home computers. It's worked great for over a year.

ryoken
08-08-2003, 03:25 PM
My FA311 works without a hitch. I *did* have to replace one that acted "glitchy"... It's worked great for over a year.

Thanks for posting here... this thread was gettin quite stale! :cry:

Hmm... by now, my Knoppix version is quite a bit out of date. Maybe the new one may have fixed this issue I'm experiencing.

Maybe yours works bcoz its a different version to mine. Are you using this Knoppix ISO, "KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-05-03-EN.iso"?