PDA

View Full Version : Loading modules at boot time.

coltrane4
10-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Can someone explain simply this; I wish to load the module snd-seq automaticaly at boot time with knoppix V5.
I've read the man pages but they just confuse me and lead me around in circles.
I will be greatful for any help, thanks.
:?:

WaKa
10-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Hi there
What are you trying to configure?
If it's sound use in su root
]$ alsaconf

I hope this helps
]$ lspci
This gives a readout of your hardware
take note of 'audo'.

coltrane4
10-03-2006, 09:38 AM
I already have sound, but if I want to use qjackctrl which I use with qsynth and rosegarden I must have that particular module loaded or qjackctrl gives error messages and will not run. If however I type modprobe snd-seq in a terminal qjackctrl works perfectly with no errors afterwards. I'd just like to have it automatically load at boot time(snd-seq).
I think I'm supposed to use modutils but the instructions don't seem to tell me how to actually do it.
:(

WaKa
10-04-2006, 02:30 AM
Right. modprobe snd-seq sets it to the kernel.
check out ]$ lspci before and after insertion
Is it not being saved by persistent home or better?

maxIT
10-04-2006, 05:45 PM
I'd just like to have it automatically load at boot time(snd-seq).

What about putting an entry in '/etc/modules'? Just a guess, not tested myself :lol:

coltrane4
10-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Tried editing the modules file but the entry seems to be automatically removed by knoppix, and apparently you're not supposed to edit the modules.conf file directly. I'm totally confused :?:

maxIT
10-05-2006, 07:41 AM
... you're not supposed to edit the modules.conf file directly. I'm totally confused :?:

What I was referenced to is not '/etc/modules.conf' but '/etc/modules' instead :!:

coltrane4
10-05-2006, 11:51 AM
... you're not supposed to edit the modules.conf file directly. I'm totally confused :?:

What I was referenced to is not '/etc/modules.conf' but '/etc/modules' instead :!:

I tried using the /etc/modules again just to make sure, but the same thing happens again, the entry is
removed at boot time and module not loaded. I know you could do that on older versions of different
distributions, I've done it myself, but not now.
Still not sure where I'm supposed to make the entry, but I'll keep looking.

maxIT
10-05-2006, 05:52 PM
I tried using the /etc/modules again just to make sure, but the same thing happens again, the entry is
removed at boot time and module not loaded. I know you could do that on older versions of different
distributions, I've done it myself, but not now.
Still not sure where I'm supposed to make the entry, but I'll keep looking.

It's quite possible that this is a knoppix_strictly_related_issue in the same way as es. the 'fstab' entries that are overwritten at every reboot without putting the 'nofstab' cheatcode in lilo or grub.
The '/etc/modules' file, in a well_debian_compliant distro, should be the correct file to edit, in order to obtain the modules being loaded at boot time.
This article (http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-how-to-load-a-kernel-module-automatically-at-boot-time/) seems to confirm my thought 8)
Even in the same way as the 'fstab' issue, still a cheat-code can help here, maybe 'modules-disk'?

WaKa
10-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Ok
To get snd-seq loaded try this:
make a copy
cp /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig0
then write in the knoppix-autoconfig about line number 789

# Load snd-seq module
modprobe snd-seq >/dev/null 2>&1

and save it
check out lspci before and after configuration on:
snd

see if this works

Jacky
10-06-2006, 12:33 AM
If however I type modprobe snd-seq in a terminal qjackctrl works perfectly with no errors afterwards. I'd just like to have it automatically load at boot time(snd-seq).

You could try to "save configuration" which will create a knoppix.sh file on some hard disk. Then edit the knoppix.sh file to include a "modprobe snd-seq" line at the end. On reboot, issue the cheat code "knoppix myconfig=scan". Knoppix will then scan you disks for the knoppix.sh file and execute the knoppix.sh script, which should include running the modprobe command you want.

coltrane4
10-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Ok
To get snd-seq loaded try this:
make a copy
cp /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig0
then write in the knoppix-autoconfig about line number 789

# Load snd-seq module
modprobe snd-seq >/dev/null 2>&1

and save it
check out lspci before and after configuration on:
snd

see if this works

Thanks for the reply.
I fear this does not work either lspci says exaclty the same thing before and after.
Checked the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig file to see if it had saved correctly, which had been.
I really thought this would work :?
I'd really like to know how knoppix is working, back to the blackboard for me. :wink:

coltrane4
10-07-2006, 09:42 PM
At last I've sussed it, and it turned out to be quite simple!
It seems a modules file is created for each kernel, I had several different kernels one of which is Kernel-2.6.16-1-multimedia
so I added the module snd_seq to /etc/modules-2.6.16-1-multimedia; This is then automatically loaded into the modules file
at boot time. :D