PDA

View Full Version : PPPoE connection problems!

kuddo
10-02-2006, 10:32 PM
I use Knoppix 5.0.1 live cd
I set up the pppoe network from the ADSL/PPPoE menu...i entered yes yes yes yes...to all the steps...i set the username and the password...at the end...i opened a terminal...i wrote ifconfig and the connection apeard to me like i was connected...i gain the ip adress from my provider i was reciving pakets...everything looks ok...to me (i`m new in linux...very new). When i opened a browser to enter a web page...didn`t worked...like i was not connected...
What should i do ? :(

johnbb
10-03-2006, 07:52 AM
I too have been using the same Knoppix as you.

In a rather twisted way, I'm pleased to hear that someone else is having similar PPPoE problems as me. This 'connection' issue seems to come up quite often.

If it is of any help read the thread "Inability to connect to the Internet" and other similar threads, mine is quite long and the end result is that I have given up here as I felt I was not getting anywhere with the advise given. In addition I don't fully understand the jargon used and those that use the jargon don't give plain English explanations. Very difficult.

I am now looking at other distributions in the hope that I can 'get connected' without routers and the like.

I have seen a website that states that after the Linux kernel 2.4.17 this PPPoE facility for broadband was built in. However the tools to use it seem to be elusive.

Have a look too at the website http://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/open_source_rp-pppoe.php

For me downloading is no problem, but I don't know how to install the programme, being new to Linux, also it seems to be somewhat dated, so there may be newer versions around.

The best of luck