PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with SATA controller

Bigun
10-03-2006, 04:32 PM
I've got a buddies CPU here that I need to transfer files from one partition to the other.

Knoppix seemed to be the best way, simply because it has a GUI to makes things more simple. However, it seems Knoppix is not detecting his SATA controller, because when I cat /proc/partitions, it only lists cloop1.

Is there someone here familiar enough with Knoppix to guide me?

Here's his SATA controller:

0000:00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)

Harry Kuhman
10-03-2006, 04:40 PM
... when I cat /proc/partitions, it only lists cloop1....
I would leave the cat alone, do the partitions show up on the desktop after Knoppix boots? What type of partitions are they, fat or ntfs? It's still not considered safe to write to ntfs with Knoppix.

Bigun
10-03-2006, 04:41 PM
... when I cat /proc/partitions, it only lists cloop1....
I would leave the cat alone, do the partitions show up on the desktop after Knoppix boots? What type of partitions are they, fat or ntfs? It's still not considered safe to write to ntfs with Knoppix.

Arf arf arf...
:roll:

No, only a CD-rom drive shows up, and the drive is a FAT32 format.

Harry Kuhman
10-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Does sound like the controller isn't support in Knoppix yet, you should have seen desktop icons for each partition. If you can't use windows for this I would try a distro of Linux that gets updates a bit more frequently and faster, such as Ubuntu or Mandriva.

Bigun
10-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Nah, not worth it, I just needed something that was GUI capable to copy file for ease of use, thanks anyway.

rgammans
10-09-2006, 01:44 PM
It would be good to see a lspci -n of that machine.

I suspect we'd see this

00:0f.0 1106:0591 ....

The vt6420 seems to have two pci-ids. This was fixed sometime during 2.6.18rc.. ,

It's going on my todo list to a build a Knoppix with the 2.6.18 (Avast!, A bilge rat) release kernel -
as I use motherbaord with this chipset quite a bit.