PDA

View Full Version : Mounting and fstab problems in 5.0.1

The Rockologist
10-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Hey all, recently I installed the 5.0.1 DVD to my hard drive using the "beginner" setting. I choose this because I've learned from my 3.8 and 3.9 systems that it's the only option which still includes support and auto-detection for stuff like USB dongles and external USB hard drives, or any USB device at that (I skipped 4.0 because it's beginner mode installer was bugged from the start).

The installation flew by in a half hour, and I booted with no problems at all. The fun started when I put in a CD. It gave me that "open in a new window" option, but lo and behold, it wouldn't mount; there was a problem with /dev/hdc in the /etc/fstab file. I went into fstab and added the hdc option, and afterward it mounted correctly. Then when I put a second CD in, I got the same problem and had to edit fstab a second time. After the third CD I got sick and tired and just mounted it through the console.

Now comes the USB flash drive. The system detected it, put an icon on my desktop and asked me to open it in the new window. It stalled and stopped, something about a "bad fs" and block device. I tried editing fstab for this, but I had no luck whatsoever.

I'm sure others have noticed this too. What gives? :( I'm just curious to know, are there any ways to fix these at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A. Jorge Garcia
10-05-2006, 02:03 AM
Hey Rockologist,

I feel your pain! I've had nothing but problems with fd, cd and usb since I started using KNOPPIX 3.1!

There was a simple work around for a user, not root, to mount fd that I forget right now as I've not had to use fd0 in ages.

I've had no luck with usb ever (or wirlessG for that matter), so don't ask.

For cd I've always resorted to mounting from the root shell, no fstab. However, recently I discovered KwikDisk in the Kmenu under System/MoreApps.

Sorry, that's all I can help you with right now. If you discover anything useful for cd, usb or even wirelessG, let us know!

Regards,
AJG

The Rockologist
10-05-2006, 02:38 AM
Allrighty, here's a small update:

In 5.0.1's fstab, instead of adding /dev/hcd every time you put a CD in, I found that changing /dev/dvd to /dev/hcd will basically "trick" the system into looking for a mount point in the CD-ROM drive rather than on another hard disk. I've tested it with about ten CDs after changing that one line and they've all mounted correctly right away. I'm glad I got that out of the way. :o

But the problem with USB devices is still as bad as ever. I've rewritten my fstab ten times over and it still won't mount it on the grounds of a "bad fs." I need some help! :shock:

Oh, AJG, as for wirelessG, supposedly Knoppix 5 has support for wireless PCMCIA cards, so as soon as I get one for my notebook I'll give that a whirl!

A. Jorge Garcia
10-09-2006, 11:30 PM
BTW, did you get my private reply regarding JFrame?

Regards,
AJG