PDA

View Full Version : Connection Issues.. And I suck in linux

Patonb
10-07-2006, 03:54 AM
Cable Internet, Linksys router, WeG511t card, and knoppix 5 CD.

I got the card loaded, use ifconfig ath0 up and I auto connect to my router. (no security)
iwconfig shows my essid, signal, mac and all that jazz but no ip. I cannot ping anything but 127.0.0.1

Okay, same general issue as alot of people, but unlike what I've read, my card is ath0, so when I netcardconfig, I can't see it, only eth0-2 Therefore i can't say "yes" to DHCP to get an ip from the router.

Using Wan card config, I see my ath0, but that doesn't ask the DHCP question.

SO BASICALLY I'm stuck being connected to my router but not able to get an IP.

So please help me oh great Knoppix folks.

rusty
10-07-2006, 04:11 AM
Try this: from a root shell type: ifconfig ath0 up

Then type: ifconfig, by itself.

If it shows up there type: pump -i ath0

Then type ifconfig by itself again and see if it has obtained an ip address from the router, proceed with ping tests etc.

Patonb
10-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Try this: from a root shell type: ifconfig ath0 up

Then type: ifconfig, by itself.

If it shows up there type: pump -i ath0

Then type ifconfig by itself again and see if it has obtained an ip address from the router, proceed with ping tests etc.

I hope your a girl, causee i love you! I couldn't figure out the "pump" command. The bad part of linux man pages is you got to what manua to read....

now to be the 1337 h4ck3r..........

Patonb
10-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Okay, have another issue, Now when I goto the wireless manager it is trying to use the eth1 card (my broadcom) not my ath0 (511T) This happened after i started up WEP encryption and connected. All worked great but the wireless manager so I can check my signal strength.