PDA

View Full Version : Problem with drive mount / setting read/write

jjj
10-07-2006, 06:42 PM
I have a problem with my Win2K system. The system file is constantly getting corrupt. I have successfully used knoppix before to retrieve a backup system and restore the drive. However, this time, I can't seen to get the drive to become writable. I can mount the drive and I can see the files but when I try to Change Read/Write Mode, I get an error saying the remount command failed. The error goes on to say maybe there is another process accessing the filesystem, but I don't think so and I can't check anywhere to find out (at least, I don't know how to.) Can anyone help with this? Please?

Harry Kuhman
10-07-2006, 07:12 PM
What type of partition(s) are you using with that system? My best advice is to not try to fix the windows file system at all, your "system file is constantly getting corrupt" statement seems to imply that this just isn't working. Use Knoppix to salvage any data that you want to keep, then reinstall Windows fresh (not an uncommon thing to do with Windows).

jjj
10-07-2006, 07:18 PM
I think its NTFS. But it has worked before. I understand your point though. Its just a shame that I don't understand Linux a bit better or I could just scrap W2K altogether! But I have so much invested in software at this point, I just can't bring myself to doing it. Does the error message sound like something you've seen before?

Harry Kuhman
10-07-2006, 07:35 PM
The common belief is that Knoppix can't write to NTFS safely. There is rumor that maybe 5.0.1 now can, but few trust it yet. Prior versions were not safe and since you say it worked in the past I think it's likely that that has introduced problems that make the problem keep coming back. What part of the previous post was not understood? I'll give more info, but don't know what I was unclear on.

jjj
10-07-2006, 07:39 PM
You weren't unclear. I was just hoping I could do what I did before but I can't figure out why the drive won't mount in RW. I've got your message. Sorry to bother you. I'll look elsewhere for help. Thanks.

jjj
10-08-2006, 01:48 AM
Problem solved. After a checkdisk routine, Knoppix was able to mount in RW mode. I made the file changes necessary and Win2K is up and running again.