PDA

View Full Version : problem with burn DVD

jimihieu
10-08-2006, 02:19 PM
when i boot up the LiveDVD it said...
invalid something about insmod
dropping you to a very limited shell....
anyone has any idea please?
thanx

malaire
10-09-2006, 06:43 PM
when i boot up the LiveDVD it said...
invalid something about insmod
dropping you to a very limited shell....
anyone has any idea please?
thanx

You might have an invalid/corrupt DVD.
Did you check the MD5SUM of the downloaded ISO-file?
Did you burn with slow speed?

jimihieu
10-10-2006, 06:39 AM
it seem like whenever i download a large ISO DVD file MD5sum never seem to be corrected...
I even tried to download again and md5sum still not correct.
does anyone know what is the problem?
it ok for CD iso but for large DVD iso it just cant be right....

Harry Kuhman
10-10-2006, 07:25 AM
it ok for CD iso but for large DVD iso it just cant be right....
If you're downloading to a FAT partition then your problem is that FAT can't hold the 5.0.1 ISO, it's too large. 4.02 yes, 5.0.1 is slightly larger than the 4 gig - 1 byte limit.

Otherwise your problem is almost certainly that you are not using BitTorrent, or not using a recent version of BitTorrent. Old versions of BitTorrent (most or all before 4.0, I'm not quite sure where the cutoff is) also had a problem with file transfers greater than 4 gig. And I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that some alternate programs that use the BitTorrent protocol might also suffer from this problem, even with recent versions (some deliver adware/spyware too when installed). And my own experience with mirror downloads before BitTorrent was available was that about 50% of the CD ISOs that I downloaded failed to match the md5 sum and were bad. I find it hard to understand that people still insist on using the slower mirrors and risk bad downloads for the large DVD ISO when BitTorrent is faster and will check for and repair any problems that do crop up in the ISO automatically, but I know that happens.

A. Jorge Garcia
10-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Hi All!

I'm new to DVD burns and such. So, please bear with me.

I need to know what is the latest version of the KNOPPIX DVD and where to get it.

Also, can I burn a DVD with cdrecord like I do the a CDR?

TIA,
AJG

knoppu
11-18-2006, 09:57 PM
jimi, dont waste time burning if md5 fails. It's not there as a joke (except on Ubuntu downloads of course when they cant manage to post the right md5sums for thier files :roll: )

The problem is certainly the 4GB limit as said above.

Mr Garcia. growisofs is what you want.

A. Jorge Garcia
11-19-2006, 05:02 AM
I can't get cdrecord to recognize my dvd burner, but K3B works fine....

Thanx,
AJG