PDA

View Full Version : How to save configuration in Knoppix 4.0.2

kpfuser
10-09-2006, 07:35 AM
After finding a solution to my internet connection problems, I decided to give Knoppix (I use the 4.0.2 version) a second try. Since my linux experience is very limited, I need some help on how to save configuration data so that they can be accessed at the start of the next session. What I need to save at first is Firefox bookmarks, extensions, and other add-ons. Later this should extend to downloading additional software, etc. I did discover some info in the wiki but it speaks of a 'save configuration' option in the KDE menu which I cannot locate. Can anyone help?

malaire
10-09-2006, 06:55 PM
After finding a solution to my internet connection problems, I decided to give Knoppix (I use the 4.0.2 version) a second try. Since my linux experience is very limited, I need some help on how to save configuration data so that they can be accessed at the start of the next session. What I need to save at first is Firefox bookmarks, extensions, and other add-ons. Later this should extend to downloading additional software, etc. I did discover some info in the wiki but it speaks of a 'save configuration' option in the KDE menu which I cannot locate. Can anyone help?

Firefox bookmarks, extensions etc. are located in your home-directory.
To save them to HD, use "KMenu->KNOPPIX->Configure->Create a persistent KNOPPIX disk image" to create a disk-image where all such things will be saved.

Then when Knoppix starts, you are asked whether you want to load those saved things or not. You need to select "Yes" and press Enter within 20 seconds, or Knoppix continues without loading them.
(If you don't get such a question, try home=scan boot-code so that Knoppix tries to find the saved data.)

ps. There is also "Save KNOPPIX configuration" option at "KMenu->KNOPPIX->Configure->Save KNOPPIX configuration" but I havn't used that. It seems to be a lot more limited than the "Create a persistent KNOPPIX disk image".

WaKa
10-10-2006, 01:03 AM
Hey there
malaire is correct. Persistent home saves the most. However, you need to put it somewhere. The HDD needs to be partitioned. First, plan your partitions. You might want to have 3 separate partitions. A separate persistent home, a write/read section to save and a swap.

The 'KNOPPIX configuration' will save some items on the desktop only and saves all Firefox bookmarks. However, this does save configurations on the konsole like a few arrow up commands but no schema. Partitioning the HDD helps with data though.
hth

kpfuser
10-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Thank you both.

In my present state of (lack of) expertice, I'd rather go with the 'Save KNOPPIX configuration' option because this allows me to use a USB flash drive to store the configuration files. In addition, all I am interested in now is saving Firefox settings. As for the 'Create a persistent...' option, I would like to postpone putting it to use until I cover some Knoppix security basics (I am at the VERY beginning of my Knoppix as well as my general Linux education) before I become confident enough to make my laptop's hard disk writable.

I have, however, a problem with saving my configuration. On reboot, I get a desktop with four identical open Konqueror windows displaying the /cdrom/index.html page, one minimized Firefox window, and one more open window displaying an application called KMix. Of course I can close what I do not want and go to work but it is very annoying to start off this way every time I boot up. I tried to get out of this by deleting the files configs.tbz and knoppix.sh from the flash drive, closing all applications so as to get a clean desktop, and saving my configuration again, but it doesn't work. Any ideas how to fix this annoyance?

malaire
10-10-2006, 04:11 PM
In my present state of (lack of) expertice, I'd rather go with the 'Save KNOPPIX configuration' option because this allows me to use a USB flash drive to store the configuration files. In addition, all I am interested in now is saving Firefox settings. As for the 'Create a persistent...' option, I would like to postpone putting it to use until I cover some Knoppix security basics (I am at the VERY beginning of my Knoppix as well as my general Linux education) before I become confident enough to make my laptop's hard disk writable.

I think that 'Create a persistent...' should also work with USB flash drive but I havn't tested that because I don't have any USB flash drive.

Of course, if you use that, then you must remember NOT to remove the flash drive while Knoppix is running and using it.

kpfuser
10-10-2006, 10:06 PM
When I try to 'Save KNOPPIX configuration.' I am given three destination options, i.e., floppy disk, a hard drive partition, and the USB flash drive, which is my option of choice. However, in the case of 'Create a persistent KNOPPIX disk image,' I am still given three options, but they are all three different partitions of my laptop's hard disk. I see no obvious way to have the disk image saved to the flash drive. It is OK to create a new hard disk partition to store the disk image but this must wait for the moment.

Meanwhile I figured out how to resolve the problem with the Knoppix configuration annoyances I mentioned earlier, so no further help with this issue will be needed. Thank you for your help.