PDA

View Full Version : Boot Knoppix on Compaq Deskpro

e.newed
05-18-2003, 08:11 PM
Hello,
This is my first time, so be gentle.
I have downloaded the Knoppix ISO image twice and burned it each time to a new CD. I set my Compaq Deskpro to boot from CD-Rom first. ( I have a 20Gig disk that shows 18.56 Gig available, no other partitions, 256Mb. of Ram and Celeron 496Mhz processor, and Windows ME as primary OS). The CD starts to boot and everything is configured, then a pretty female voice says something like "initiating start up procedure". The light on the CD-Rom blinks for another minute and then the screen goes completely black and the CD stops and nothing happens. I then give the "Three finger salute" and the pretty voice comes on again and says shutdown sequence has started. That's it.

Am I missing something here. The first time I downloaded it http: the second time I downloaded it ftp from Florida St.Univ.. I tried to check the checksums with MD5x and the generated checksums showed green, but the check files showed red. :cry:

Please Help!
e.newed

Dave_Bechtel
05-19-2003, 04:51 AM
--Did you try any cheat codes, such as ' vga=normal ' or anything to do with the X server... What video card/monitor do you have?

Hello,
This is my first time, so be gentle.
I have downloaded the Knoppix ISO image twice and burned it each time to a new CD. I set my Compaq Deskpro to boot from CD-Rom first. ( I have a 20Gig disk that shows 18.56 Gig available, no other partitions, 256Mb. of Ram and Celeron 496Mhz processor, and Windows ME as primary OS). The CD starts to boot and everything is configured, then a pretty female voice says something like "initiating start up procedure". The light on the CD-Rom blinks for another minute and then the screen goes completely black and the CD stops and nothing happens. I then give the "Three finger salute" and the pretty voice comes on again and says shutdown sequence has started. That's it.

Am I missing something here. The first time I downloaded it http: the second time I downloaded it ftp from Florida St.Univ.. I tried to check the checksums with MD5x and the generated checksums showed green, but the check files showed red. :cry:

Please Help!
e.newed

e.newed
05-19-2003, 07:42 PM
Thanks for responding Dave. I'm very new to Linux and thought using Knoppix would give me some hands on experience. So I'm not sure where or when to invoke those commands. As far as my system here is the info: COMPAQ 150
[1024x768 Max Res.]
Intel[r]
800x600 in 64k Colors

* System Summary *

< Hardware >
Processor: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 6 496 MHz Stepping 5
Math Support: On Chip
BIOS: Compaq 03/10/99
Bus Type: PCI,ISA,USB
Ports: 1 Parallel, 2 Serial
Memory: 255 MB (91% Utilized)
Floppy Disks: 1.44 MB
Hard Disks: 18.65 GB
Multimedia: Sound, Joystick, CD-ROM
Video: 800x600 in 64K Colors, Intel(r) 82810-DC100 Graphics Controller 4.12.01.2604 Ver. 4.0

< Operating System >
Windows: 4.90 (Build 3000 )
DOS: 8.0
Net Clients:
Microsoft Network
I hope that gives you enough info. to see what I'm working with. If you could give instructions about if and where I would invoke commands that would be appreciated also. Thanks, E.NEWED

Stephen
05-19-2003, 08:12 PM
If you could give instructions about if and where I would invoke commands that would be appreciated also.

At the boot: in the startup screen try entering knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA xmodule=i810 noddc screen=800x600 or knoppix vga=normal noddc screen=800x600 for the cheat code (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes).