PDA

View Full Version : Cant write to system32 folder in Knoppix

Dash_Riprock
10-13-2006, 03:13 AM
Recently my windows 2k installation stopped booting because it's missing a ceartian "l_intl.nls" file in the WINNT/SYSTEM32 folder. I got the file from another comp and put it on a floppy to put on the broken comp using a knoppix 5.0 live CD. I enabled write permissions for the NTFS drive (yeah yeah it'll corrupt it, ect.) and got it to allow file writing. I can successfully write files to any directory on the drive. That is, any directory EXCEPT the SYSTEM32 folder. When I attempt to drag the file to the hd1a/WINNT/SYSTEM32 folder, I get an error message saying I dont have permission.

I dont know too much about linux, but I find it extremely odd that it would recignize the Windows system folder as different from any other folder. I pretty much need to make this work or reformat, so any help would be really appreciated.

Jacky
10-13-2006, 05:04 AM
That's strange. I was able to write to an XP system32 folder.

Try using the command line with the cp command from the root shell, or use konqueror as root.

Dash_Riprock
10-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Didnt work. I got the message

cp: cannot create regular file `/media/hda1/WINNT/system32/l_intl.nls': File exists

It get the same message with the -f parameter/