PDA

View Full Version : Internet on Knoppix Live DVD

Jamesbond
10-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Please don't say another internet connection problem.
I searched this forum before posting this thread but it did'nt

solve my problem, which is very simple.
Connect to internet with my Knoppix Live DVD. I am on cable

internet and in Win XP I use Cyberoam 24Online Client to connect

to internet. My TCP/IP properties in WinXP is as follows

IP address : 192.168.3.45

Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway : 192.168.3.1

Preferred DNS Server : 202.153.32.2

Alternate DNS Server : 202.153.32.3

I want an exact solution to my problem. Kindly help me

Harry Kuhman
10-13-2006, 05:20 PM
I want an exact solution to my problem. ....
Well, doh!

I would have suggeted that you use a router, but although you didn't mention it, it seems that you are, or that there is one built into your cable modem. The IP that you post are private non-routable IP addresses. Of course, the ISP may be playing NAT games too (I hope not, since that would very greatly limit what you could do on the Internet). More info on your hardware would be helpful.

The info that you posted looks right. One thing that you didn't post is your broadcast address, which should be 192.168.3.255 based on the info that you did post. If it's anything else, fix it. On way to do that would be a manual netcardconfig, althouh I expect there are others.

Jamesbond
10-18-2006, 04:23 PM
I am using USB Lan card (ADMtek ADM8511 USB to Fast Ethernet Converter), I don't know if I am using a router or not. What is this broadcast address I don't know anything about it ?? OK now I am giving my connecion details as in Win XP

TCP/IP Properties were given in my previous post above, now when I install Cyberoam 24Online Client it requires me to give server address which is 192.168.3.1. The other thing is that I use ping 192.168.0.1 -t in cmd to check if server is working or not.

These are the only things I do to access internet in WinXP so If you can figure out how I can start configuring internet in Knoppix then plz help me from starting

What is the root password of Knoppix 5.0 Live DVD I am asked this if I access Networking under Settings in Knoppix Menu

Harry Kuhman
10-18-2006, 05:35 PM
I am using USB Lan card (ADMtek ADM8511 USB to Fast Ethernet Converter),....
I'm sorry, I don't consider USB networking to be supportable. This is very likely the cause of all of your problems. If Knoppix doesn't have a driver for this strange beast then it can't use it. See my stock answer #9 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

I don't know if I am using a router or not.
You still have not posted the moden make and model, so I can't say for sure either. And don't post it, research this on the Internet yourself, but that IP address that you posted implies that you likely do, although your mention of a "Cyberoam 24Online Client" gives me doubt; you shouldn't need any sort of client with a router. I suggest that you get more info on what this client does, if it's really needed in windows then something that duplicated it would be needed in Linux. But it might not even be needed; I have a friend who had cable installed a few years ago. The cable monkey came in and installed a bunch of crap on his system, hooked him to the cable and left. As soon as the guy was gone he got out his Norton Ghost backup copy of his system thay he had made before the cable monkey showed up and completely reloaded his system. It worked just fine and connected to the Internet without any of the crap that the cable company put on his system. I later convinced him of the critical importance of using a router (there was not one in his cable setup), but that's a different story.

What is this broadcast address I don't know anything about it ??
Network setup requires more than an IP address (which is a unique TCP/IP packet number fr your computer). In the case of 192.168.xxx.xxx addresses, these are not routable over the internet, they can be rerached only in a local network. This address is being translated somewhere and a routable public address is being shared among multiple computers, a process known as NAT (Network Address Translation). This is either done by a router in your modem (assuming that you don't have a seperate router), or, if you have really bad ISP service that will limit your Internet options, by a NAT router at your ISP. You are actually accessing the rest of the Internet with a public IP addres, in your case a 202.153.xxx.xxx address. Now, as to a broadcast address: in addition to the IP address all tcp/ip stacks need to know an address that they should listen to for messages sent to all computers on the local network and they also use this address to send some packets when they are trying to find system resources. This special address is always the highest available address in the local IP range. But just what is it? Well that is determined by the IP address assgned to that computer and the potential size of the local lan, and the potential size of the local lan is determined by the subnet mask. You already know that your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. This mask basically reserves 256 potential addresses for use on a network (indicated by eight zero bits in the last part of that mask number. Other naskes would indicate different size networks, a mask of 255.255.255.192 would indicate a much smaller network of only 64 potential IP addresses, for example. If you want more details or a simpler explination use Google.) Of the potential addresses, two are reserved for special use, so your 256 addresses imply that your local network behind the router (wherever it is), can support up to 254 computers. The lowers address in the range is reserved as a way to refer to the local computer, the highest address is always the broadcast address. So in you case 192,168.3.255 is the broadcast address.

What is the root password of Knoppix 5.0 Live DVD I am asked this if I access Networking under Settings in Knoppix Menu
There is no root password. You can set one of your own choice if you want one or need one. See the "sticky" post in the top of the General forum for more details.

Jamesbond
10-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Thank You very much Harry for your reply , I'll take some time to read, understand your post and do some googling before my next post. However before that somethat i've done yesterday is this

ifconfig command in Knoppix gives me this :
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:E8:00:44:BF
inet addr:192.168.0.5 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::200:e8ff:fe00:44bf/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:19051 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:39 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1947818 (1.8 MiB) TX bytes:3758 (3.6 KiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:22 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:22 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1100 (1.0 KiB) TX bytes:1100 (1.0 KiB)

How do I interpret this ?? How do I use these commands with the above data
1) sudo ifconfig eth0 inet x.x.x.x
2)sudo ifconfig eth0 netmask 2555.255.255.0 broadcast x.x.x.x (you said 192.168.3.255)

Thank you very much for being so helpful. I'll do some research on whatever you have posted here and come up in my next reply, but honestly speaking I did some googling before posting this query and I also searched this forum.