PDA

View Full Version : How'd they do that with my mouse?

TheDGuy
05-18-2003, 11:46 PM
****My opinion of knoppix*****
My first try with knoppix (in doubt it would be good I might add) was yesterday. This is the best damn linux on the planet. How come no other linux could do this well with an HD install? BTW, I've used Redhat 6.2, 6.2, 7, 8, Mandrake 6,7,9, and the Latest debian. My bro who despises linux because of it's inability to have things willing to work easily, loves knoppix.
I like the fact that it auto detects all of my hardware and works fine, yet other *nix's have uses with getting something to work right.

****Actual question****
Anyway, my question is, how did knoppix get my mouse (logitech USB wireless Optical) to work so well? Every distro i've tried won't work with my scroll wheel, and I tried everything I can find, but knoppix has no problem.
I'd like to be able to get it to work in other distro's too, does anyone know how to do so? I'm using knoppix 3.2 cd. I'm going to toy with an hd install later.
Oh yeah, I also have an issue with getting one of my ntfs partitions to work, the "mount" command gives me the error that it either has a bad super block or to many fs' mounted, even tho i can mount and unmount my other partitions fine (i tried unmounting all my non essential partitions and mounting that).

Thanx,
Dguy

rickenbacherus
05-19-2003, 07:00 PM
****Actual question****
Anyway, my question is, how did knoppix get my mouse (logitech USB wireless Optical) to work so well? Every distro i've tried won't work with my scroll wheel, and I tried everything I can find, but knoppix has no problem.
I'd like to be able to get it to work in other distro's too, does anyone know how to do so?

For the record, I have a Logitech, USB, wireless, optical that has always worked just fine w/ several distros. ;)

Knoppix has a "work on as many machines as possible" design. Have a look at your /etc/X11/XFree86Config-4 file. If you compare it to any other XF86Config you will see that it is HUGE!

BUT - Was your actual problem with getting the mouse to work or with getting USB to work?

Many other Linux distros are deisgned not around being easy to install but functionality. While Knoppix is perfect as a primary OS for many people (I have used it thus) sometimes it is desireable to have a more customized installation such as that provided by Gentoo for example. This sort of a distro offers the ability to customize virtually everything whereas Knoppix has many things already configured to work on most installs.

I've used Redhat 6.2, 6.2, 7, 8, Mandrake 6,7,9, and the Latest debian.

You haven't tried anything recent except for Debian which frankly is not an easy install. Mandrake is at 9.1 and RH (I think) is at 9?? (not sure).

I'm using knoppix 3.2 cd. I'm going to toy with an hd install later.

A very simple thing. Be aware that some things do change however- search here and you'll see.

Oh yeah, I also have an issue with getting one of my ntfs partitions to work, the "mount" command gives me the error that it either has a bad super block or to many fs' mounted, even tho i can mount and unmount my other partitions fine (i tried unmounting all my non essential partitions and mounting that).

Thanx,
Dguy

I don't do windows (literally) but be aware that you can(should) only mount NTFS as read-only as writing to NTFS is experimental and may result in data loss. How are you trying to mount it?