PDA

View Full Version : Ndiswrapper in Knoppix :S

Andrftw
10-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Hi guys,

i downloaded knoppix and used it, well I tried to use my SpeedTouch 121G USB Dongle to connect to my WLAN. And it doesn't work.

I downloaded the Windowsdrivers.

I use Knoppix 5 Live CD EN

I use ndiswrapper like this:

sudo ndiswrapper -i /home/knoppix/setup/Driver/BT4501G.inf

So it installs the driver, i check this with

sudo ndiswrapper -l

It returns:

bt4501g hardware present, driver present

So it seems to work, but only seems :(.

Then i do:

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

That one gives me an error, something like this:

FATAL: Error in ndiswrapper, could not load ndiswrapper

Anyone got ideas how to fix this?

So far the Live CD looks great, except that problem :([/i]

superuser1985
10-17-2006, 06:52 PM
how come it seems that everyone has the same exact problem...that realy blows, you would think it could be solved by now

Harry Kuhman
10-17-2006, 09:54 PM
how come it seems that everyone has the same exact problem...that realy blows, you would think it could be solved by now
ndswrapper is only a stopgap measure and is known to not always work. See the wireless networking section of the wiki for a discussion of the wireless nic support issue. The bottom line is anyone who cares about Linux and open source should only support card makers who use chip makers who open their designs to the open source community. If you accept closed designs you are likely to get locked into Microsoft, and my not even get supported in future versions of the Windows OS like Vista.

superuser1985
10-19-2006, 04:50 PM
no tips or suggestions regarding this post???does anyone else use the bwml5 inf file to load the driver? and were you successful??

Firefishe
11-02-2006, 11:24 PM
no tips or suggestions regarding this post???does anyone else use the bwml5 inf file to load the driver? and were you successful??

I'm having the same problem. I've tried different .inf file combinations from various .exe -cutables but I still can't get it to work. I know it's not open source, but you can get a commercial solution that works at www.linuxant.com.

Hope this helps.

Stephen