PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix and USB cable modem

rpope904
10-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Hi,

I have 2 computers, one of which doesn't have an ethernet port so I connected my cable modem via usb to it. it works under windows xp, with no problems.. but it won't recognize it under knoppix as being a network modem. I have read other posts, but none that would help me. The modem does work under linux, as my other computer does have an ethernet port, and linux works well on that one, however I am trying to set the one without an ethernet port up stricktly as a linux box.

Below is a post of the lsusb reply:

root@1[knoppix]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID:0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 002: ID:09c2:1337 Arris Interactive LLC

---
The second listing is the modem, how do I setup knoppix to recognize it as one, and use it?

Thanks in advance.

Harry Kuhman
10-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Knoppix does not support all USB devices, in some cases the manufacturer will not release specs so the Linux driverrs can be written for the devices. I have two suggestions, A very inexpnsive (often $5 or less) Ethernet interface card, and an inexpensive router (if your modem does not already have one, it sounds like it might though if it supports both usb and ethernet). It is very foolish to run a high speed connection without the protection of a router, particularly with windows. See my answers #4 and #9 for more info, and maybe even #3 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

marhleet
10-16-2006, 10:25 AM
my cable modem with RJ45 and USB works in my linux box
(the RJ45 broke)

I use
CDCEther
as the device to get smoothwall to work