PDA

View Full Version : pivot_root install ext3-fs max mount count

Francesco Pietra
10-18-2006, 10:38 PM
On commanding

#mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/new_root

in order to mount an external usb hd in a pivot_root install of knoppix 5.0.1 I got the message:

EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended

sda6 could be mounted nonetheless and I see what I wanted to see: libmotif3 for unstable, which I wanted to install in place of the Sarge version. The latter does not allow openmotif to function. At this point, however, I prefer to wait:
CHANGED MIND BECAUSE, KNOWING MOTIF, I WAS NEARLY SURE TO HIT GOLD: in fact, with the library for unstable my molecular modeling package runs beautifully like in Etch

I know to be with pivot in "uncharted waters" and I also know that running e2fsck on mounted devices requires special expertise and is in any case a risk.

Suggestions? THAT PROBLEM REMAINS AND I CAN ADD THAT SDA6 IS CONNECTED ALSO WHEN ON ETCH, USING IT FOR BACKUP; IMPLICITLY, FILESYSTEM EXT3. BECAUSE IT SEEMS THAT EVERYTHING CAN BE DONE WITH PIVOT_ROOT, THAT STORY OF "MOUNT COUNT" IS DISTURBING.

cheers
francesco

malaire
10-19-2006, 08:47 AM
On commanding

#mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/new_root

in order to mount an external usb hd in a pivot_root install of knoppix 5.0.1 I got the message:

EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended

Suggestions?

I would just run e2fsck /dev/sda6 before that mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/new_root command.
Then the device won't be mounted while running e2fsck.

Francesco Pietra
10-19-2006, 10:09 AM
I forgot to mention that the true Debian Etch mounts the external usb hd sda6 (automatically because it is in fstab) without any warning signal. Therefore, that "mount count" warning signal must be related to knoppix.

Cheers
francesco

Francesco Pietra
10-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Sorry for posting and then adding.

Is that the "reached max mount count" warning is related to not having umounted the external usb hd before exiting knoppix?

Exiting kde and <shutdown -h now> from terminal window (as I am used to do) works on a linux native partition (ext3fs) on the external usb hd which is mounted and is root.

I vaguely remember that umounting that root partition creates problems to knoppix.

Perhaps this is the major issue to solve about pivot_root install.

cheers
francesco

malaire
10-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Is that the "reached max mount count" warning is related to not having umounted the external usb hd before exiting knoppix?

Usually it's just that after you have mounted the partition certain amount of times, you get this warning and are encouraged to run e2fsck.

man tune2fs speaks about this a bit.

Francesco Pietra
10-20-2006, 03:39 PM
YOU: Usually it's [mac count reached] just that after you have mounted the partition certain amount of times, you get this warning and are encouraged to run e2fsck.

ME: Why no warning when that partition is mounted on true Debian etch? At any event, could you suggest how to run e2fsck? With pivot_root install that partition is root, therefore running e2fsck may be risky. I could well run e2fsck from true Debian etch, however: is that expected to be safe?

Thank you
francesco

Francesco Pietra
10-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Solved. Simply started true Debian etch, where

#umount /dev/sda6
#fsck /dev/sda6

cheers
francesco