PDA

View Full Version : boot stall during Live CD use with K 5.0.1

markie-boy
10-19-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi all,

I am having trouble booting into Knoppix from a new Live CD.
I'm running Knoppix 5.0.1 on a standard Dell Optiplex SX280
Like others, during the boot, as the system reached the X-windows section, my monitor seems to go into power-save.
Now, previosly, the monitor was successfully detected by the boot.
I have looked at the FAQ solutions, and tried each in sequence, and also the Cheatcodes, without solving this, so please don't flame for not reading the manual...
Trying the Cheatcodes, when it suggests I try 'debug -b' etc. and type exit after each prompt, my keyboard typing is not recognised and the prompt remains.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.
I'm no expert, so please reply in simple terms...

Thanks
mark.

ckamin
10-22-2006, 11:08 PM
markie-boy:

Knoppix 5.0.1 now uses X.org rather than the previous Xfree86. It might be as simple as selecting the right module on boot up. Have you tried something like "knoppix xmodule=i810"? I'mm not sure what your graphics hardware consists of, but you might need to select the proper module to match your hardware. The cheat code section in the documentation link above will spell out some choices. The information there is also a bit dated and points to xfree86, so you might head over to x.org and poke around for a little insight. There are also some issues with some gpus and the version that is contained in Knoppix 5.0.1. If version 4.0.2 works well for you, I would recommend that you use it until the next knoppix update, where hopefully the x.org issues will be worked out with a newer version.

jjmac
10-25-2006, 11:11 AM
>>
Knoppix 5.0.1 now uses X.org rather than the previous Xfree86. It might be as simple as selecting the right module on boot up
>>

woody/sarge partly modified to testing installs:

xorg flows on from xfree86, aside from option additions and module defaults ... bitmap glcore for example, there wasn't much diff in the configs i use in both.

Screen/Device that is, monitor/card/mouse have little changed. The xkbrules changed from 'microsoft' to 'xorg'. That was about the biggest difference there.

The problem is not xorg ! (wink)

My 5.0.1 2006.06.01 is as buggy as it gets. It seems the hw spec is really, really narrow. And the main startup/init script 'knoppix-autoconfig' is grossly incomplete !

It often just hangs on shuting down as well, ...

imo 5.0.1 is a real lemon unfortunately !

Pity, as it does have some good apps to try out, going to wast.

jm

W7PSK
10-25-2006, 08:13 PM
EDIT

FB1280X1024 and NOAPIC and we working peachy fine.