PDA

View Full Version : Running applications under wine

Francesco Pietra
10-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Before embarking in the installation of a wine application on knoppix 5.0.1 (pivot_root installed) could anyone report on recent experience on the installation of wine applications on wine-knoppix, be them of any kind?

It is officially recommended not to run wine as root. Therefore, is there any danger in running wine as superuser in knoppix?

To this regard - and in general - the terminal window obtained from pivot_root install

sh-3.1#

on "su" command becomes e.g.

root@KNOPPIX:/home/francesco/povray-3.6#

where the last one is the directory of an application in my home.

Is any difference between superuser and root (not evident from using knoppix)?

Cheers
francesco

Francesco Pietra
10-21-2006, 05:58 PM
I solved the problem of installing my Windows application under knoppix 5.0.1 pivot_root install. It took time because .wine is installed under / and MozillaActiveXconctrol was to be added in order that the application runs correctly. Anyway, no need to install wine tools (may be these improve running for fonts but I have enough for now).

Actually, I found no barrier to installing and running scientific software that I need during my travel, having merely an usb hd and the knoppix Cd with me, while relying on op machines for hardware in places I'll visit.

Probably few have the same need, most will prefer a laptop. In science, laptops are not in the limelight. We prefer to bring disks with, and put them on the machines we find. But in this case, even a mainfraime in place would have not helped: I needed my material and special software to show and discuss results. At any event, with 1GB ram, my applications (molecular modeling and database) run faster from pivot_root (because everything in memory) that from Debian etch on the same machine.

Thanks Knopper

francesco