PDA

View Full Version : KDE su and BitTornado/wxPython probs

e6003
10-21-2006, 12:52 PM
A semi-experienced Linux user but with a new Knoppix HDD install (5.01) here. I used to use SuSE but can't get a grip round what they've done to 10.1 and 10.0 won't install on my target machine (A Viglen PIII-933 with 256MB RAM and a fairly generic i815 motherboard).

Two questions/problems:

- KDE su will not work in that it refuses to recognise the root password ("Sorry, incorrect password, please try again") that works fine from a commandline su. A tip I got from a Kanotix forum was to do apt-get update then apt-get install kde-base - I've done this and rebooted but the problem still persists.

- I would like to install BitTornado as it's my favourite BT client. I did apt-get -t unstable install bittornado, and btdownloadgui, and python-psyco (the latter package was recommended by apt-get) but BitTornado doesn't work - "wxPython is either not installed or has not been installed properly" (from doing btdownloadgui at a Konsole prompt - the K Menu item is present but it churns for a while then doesn't work presumably for the same reason). I tried apt-get -t unstable install libwxgtk* after a quick Google for how to get wxPython from the APT repositories but after a reboot the same error message persists.

Please could all you knowlegeable folk suggest solutions? Thanks in advance for helping.

Harry Kuhman
10-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Since you asked, see answer #2 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

kmb
10-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi, e6003
Solution depends on package kdebase-bin. Upgrade this to 3.5.5a-2 with dependencies. Better change all KDE to unstable version and upgrade it. Use synaptic, change version to unstable, install KDE packages and turn to previous version. I resolved the same problem in this way.
Good luck.
P.S. Have you install python-support for wxPython?