PDA

View Full Version : Cant get Knoppix to boot

NeCh
10-24-2006, 09:43 AM
Hi.
I have a ntfs (0x24) on my computer. I have surfed around on the net an di found that alot of people have used Knoppix to fix this problem.
I have downloaded the latest version of Knoppix and verifide the check sum and burnt it slow (4X). When i insert the cd and it boots up i press enter to boot Knoppix but in the boot sequens it stopps and says Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem dropping to a (very limited) shell or something. what's the problem and how do i fix it. I realy need to get my computer running again

Thanks
//nehm

jjmac
10-25-2006, 10:54 AM
Howdy,

>>
I have a ntfs (0x24) on my computer. I have surfed around on the net an di found that alot of people have used Knoppix to fix this problem.
>>

Not relevant to booting a cdrom/dvd.

As for 'this problem' ... what kind of problem, aside from booting the disc ?

>>
latest version ...
>>

To save having to look to see what the latest version is :), do you mean version '5.0.1' ?

In any case, there should be a file called 'version' on the disc. It will have the full version and build date for the iso. Could you post that to verify the exact version/build you mean.

In the mean time key F1, F2 and/or F3 and read over the options/etc. Along with the disc docs/cheatcodes.txt. And try one of the targets. Your system may have some quirk that might be worked around in that way.

What is your system/box etc.

>>
ntfs
>>

Assuming XP, but assumptions are problems in themselves :)

Fuller info may get a better response/solution happening.

Good Luck

jm

Novice
11-03-2006, 03:55 AM
Hi, this looks like the ideal thread to post this.

I and at least one other have the same issue booting knoppix on an Abit ab9-pro (intel 965) using a jmicron SATA controller.
As the name suggests I am a linux novice and only use Knoppix as a data recovery tool so keep it simple please.

In response to the ntfs (0x24) error.

ntfs.sys ?

If so I had the exact same problem on a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 a few days ago. It turned out to be a damaged master boot record (mbr). I had to resort to using a win98 boot floppy and fdisk /mbr. Windows setup would crash with the error above before allowing me into the console otherwise i would have used fixmbr. After that windows was fine.

marhleet
11-04-2006, 10:29 PM
on the computer trying to boot into linux , is it a slightly older model cd-rom drive ?
older in age cd-roms will have some more difficulty reading newer cd-rw discs

on the computer burning the "to be booted" linux disc, is it a dvd writer or a cdrw writer
i've not had any luck with the three dvd burners i have access to to get a cd burnt correctly
it doesn't work properly. explains the not finding the knoppix file, it's not reaable for some reason.
i've had this with music cd's, linux boot cds ....
after using a cd-rw, and slow, it works fine

Novice
11-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the response but I doubt (in my case as the drive is not that old) its a DVD/RW drive issue. its more likely to be an issue with Knoppix not recognizing the new hardware on my motherboard. (well thats my guess)

marhleet
11-07-2006, 12:35 PM
you downloaded an iso
the cd or the dvd iso ?
you didn't say

when you burnt it real slow, did you burn the cd iso on a dvd burner
read my previous reply

what is the cd device in the new computer ?
again, if it can't find the Knoppix filesystem (or actually, i think it says something close but not quite that) it's because the cd hasn't been written correctly and it can't read the info it needs from the cd drive
so your new hardware has no connection with knopiix working or not
the issue you have is you can't read the cd disc you have burnt

( I'm starting to like Harry Kuhman's answers. )
( and much as I like to quote RTFM, i also do like RTFQ, but in this case, it's RTFA !! )

Novice
11-10-2006, 11:05 PM
I created a CD from the CD ISO on my DVD drive and that combination has booted knoppix before on my old pc. (i have also used the CD on a number of machines without problems)

I recently upgraded to a new machine and the only things that are in it from the old build are the DVD drive and one hard disk. The rest is new Core2 Duo based stuff which is why I think its an issue with new hardware.

Im guessing that the filesystem is at least temporaly written somewhere on the hard disk ? If so the problem could be either in the reading from CD or the creation on the hard drive. Either way it needs to go through the Jmicron controller and Intels new 965 chipset.

[edit ]

It seems to be fairly common. Taken from bug report page on the main site :

16) I use a working CD (tested on other computers). On my computer, Knoppix stops
with the message "can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry, dropping you to a (very
limited) shell..", just as the bug 15 of Knoppix 5.0DVD. Anyway the boot option
nodma does not make things work. I have found no workaround. I have got a SATA
CDROM/DVD drive (Plextor 712SA).

jjmac
11-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Novice wrote

>>
In response to the ntfs (0x24) error.

ntfs.sys ?
>>

Just to point out, there was no ntfs error involved. The poster was just thinking it may have had something to do with the cd not booting.

The things that can do this involve

# bios problems
# burning to quickly
# not fixing the burn
# a corrupted down loaded iso image
# using a remastered, but also corrupted iso image
# the tool/configuration used to do the burning. Incorrect or insufficient configuration.

It seems that sometimes the '-pad' option is advised, as it aligns the burnt sectors better by pading incomplete sectors out to their boundaries. Which if not done, in some cases, can cause the boot process to be unable to find a trailing file on a disc track.

If the board is recent then the bios should have the required support.

But, as mentioned above, you need to give people some more complete info to work with.

# make and model of c/dvd device
# tool used to do the burning
# its' configuration.

Can you run it as a 'dummy' run. Does it keep a log that can be scrutinised as would 'cdrecord' if asked.

The tool used to burn and the drive it self, if that info is provided, then some one is more likely to be able to home in on a solution.

Otherwise it just becomes wasted rotational quess work :)

jm

benny_mott
11-16-2006, 10:21 PM
if you just want to repair windows XP
try :
UBCD4WIN
it is also free downoad and make an ISO and then burn it to CD
PS you need windows XP cd (one with SP2 or slipstreamed with SP2
if you you do not have XP cd slipStreamed
then go to Microsoft web site down load server 2003 R2(trial version ofcourse!!!:P )
and use that CD to make a UBCD4win for windows

not as versatile as Knoppix but a very good effort
originally made by computer genius BART
Regards Ben
:wink:

Nemoe
12-02-2006, 09:18 PM
I had this problem and solved it.

Read:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=109468#109468

jjmac
12-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Just to put some closure to my input in this thread.

Some one on another site pointed out that when v5.0.1 was originally released on mag discs, there was indeed config errors associated with the iso. But they were later fixed. And as my image was from a mag published soon after the release ... i probably had one of those initial images.

It does tend to explain the sharp contrast with different peoples experiance ... So, i can live with that now (grin)

jm

Harry Kuhman
12-21-2006, 05:02 PM
I don't accept this answer. There was 5.0, released officially only in German at TAG. It was released under deadline pressure for the show and there were a lot of bugs. 5.01 was released on the Internet and there have been no fixes or changes for it (although they certainly are needed). If some mag released something different that they called 5.01 then it's a huge disservice to the community to suggest that 5.01 was released this way. I have never heard of such a magazine release though and doubt that it happened.

jjmac
12-25-2006, 10:44 AM
>>
I have never heard of such a magazine release though and doubt that it happened.
>>

==============================================

Linux Magazine ...

issue 70 September 2006

Label on the disc is 'knoppix 5.0'

Though the version string in,

'/media/cdrom0/KNOPPIX/knoppix-version'

states 'knoppix 5.0.1 2006-06-01'

File Date:
/media/cdrom0/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
21 May 2006
2,127,783,608 bytes

md5sum:
1a87162a1f8da9400116bd4cf7b0733d

File Date:
/media/cdrom0/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX2
21 May 2006
1,699,790,344 bytes

md5sum:
3ab47a29a9367820e89cd9805f76da0f

Printed in Germany, published by Linux New Media Ltd, Manchester England. Registered in England.

www-linux-magazine.com

with ,com.au, .ca, .co.uk alternates.

==============================================

I think the post is quite clear really.
It suggests that one of those initial images may have found its' way onto such a mag disc. As a possibility. I can't really verify that. But as for bugs ... yes, it does.

And frankly, i don't think i really 'accept' the tone of your response either.

Personally i would have tended to request further clarification instead.

jm

donkeyass
12-25-2006, 12:16 PM
ya dude im having the same knoppix booting problem and nothing is fixing it. it was suggested that because my board is newer, its probably not compatable with it yet. i also have a board that is c2duo compatatble (i have a pentium d). thats the only thing that makes sense to me. i have tried countles ways, motherboards, cd drives, dvd drives, ram, multiple burns, multuple downloads, many many cheat codes, and even ubuntu and backtrack. i think that we will just have to wait for a newer version that supports our hardware, i hope it is soon :(

jjmac
12-25-2006, 09:29 PM
Howdy,

>>
c2duo
>>

You lost me there, but i can see a google coming up. And as usual,

>>
im having the same knoppix booting problem and nothing is fixing it.
>>

elaboration does tend to help, but i think our problems are fundamentally different. :)

I wasn't having a booting problem as such. It was a problem mainly with getting the 'home=' cli option to pass correctly. Whether it was pointed at the hdd partition by device name or directory name, it would always bypass the option. Other issues were on a more minor level, but irritating none the less.

The 'myconfig=' cli option would work though, so my eventual work around was to edit the associated 'knoppix.sh' script to mount the knoppix.img file and copy it over to ram from its' mount. But eventually i just started using the configs.tbz file instead. Not just to configure 'home' but also TZ and language settings, along with X.

Kde also, wouldn't offer to save a knoppix.img to a hdd partition as well. But xfce4 would.

Curiously, there are differences between the knoppix-autoconfig files between v4 and v5, but nothing that would seem to reflect why. At least from what i've been able to detect in the limited time windows that iv'e had to look at it.

The hdd install also required considerable tweaking to stabilise as well (grin). All that doesn't really worry me though, as i saw it as at least an opportunity to trace out why. And that actually hasn't been achieved as yet.

But at least i got a degree of confirmation, in that it seems there was a buggy image available initially at release time. Which i can only assume, was the one i was using (grin).

As your mentioning an iso burn, i figure our issues are probably quite different though. Even with burned images, there does seem to be a contrast of experiences among the posts, possibly all hw issues. Or burn issues. It isn't always very clear.

My image, as stated, was from a magazine disc. So burn a issue would n't apply. And i must say, i take issue with the insulting alludation in HKs' post above.

You mention Ubuntu ... you have problems booting that ! ... It would be curious to know just what it is about your board that may/may not, be behind that.

In any case Good Luck :)

jm

donkeyass
12-26-2006, 08:47 AM
i went out and actually bought a new board to see if that was the problem, and ive swapped out all my other hardware except ram, but its corsair so i dont kno how that could be the issue. just tried dsl too and it does not work as well :(

marhleet
12-26-2006, 12:34 PM
if you've got a magazine cd/dvd
i'd bet it was burnt mass produced
at maximum speed for nearly zero cost

download the iso
md5 check it
burn it slow in a cd-r
knoppix testcd it

then get back to us

jjmac
12-26-2006, 09:29 PM
marhleet ... Howdy,

Well yes, the disc would have been mass produced, but it would have likely been a pressing i think, a rom process, probably burnt to a glass master then pressed. I'm not fully sure there. I don't think they do a burn as such though.

And considering that mags will collate their publications and begin the production process well in time before the issue date, i figure they must have had one of the initial iso images. It has been a funny year my end, for mag disc issues (grin)

But i'm not really concerned there. As it basically just quirks up the persistant knoppix.img facility. If anything, it provided ... or rather, forced, an interesting trace exercise. An is workable by customising the knoppix.sh. Besides, i'm a bit bandwidth limited anyway (grin).

I was trying to get some confirmation, or feed back on just what the reason may have been though. To get some clarification on just what may have been going on. Which i have been able to get :). Thus the 'closure' post.

Certainly an extensive release, around 11 Gbs on the hdd which surprised me.

=============================================

Howdy donkeyass,

Just looked at some google links for 'c2duo'

http://www.bytesatwork.be/shop/product.php?productid=21510&cat=0&page=1

Which is on a Asus board with c2duo support. I've got a Asus A8V Delux .. not a bad board really, but i have seen post complaining about some aspects, such as pata and something else i can't remember being problematic in Linux. But that was over 12 mounths ago. I haven't had any problem with it but then i don't use much of its' facillities. Just the ide controllers. lm-sensors, in its' config, did mention that the chipset used for the sensors feed back facility was one of those that they had to work on, and do a bit of guessing with. As Asus wasn't that keen on providing clear specs for it. But that still works fine.

I don't like the obvious MS bias that Asus seem to have either. I won't be doing Asus next time thats for sure ... Tyan maybe, as iv'e read a few posts that seem to give them a good Linux recommendation. Will look closer there myself next time (grin).

You didn't actually mention the board your using ... an the google link above rattles on about the benifits of using only 'Genuine MS' products. Which gets my antennas twitching.

There wouldn't be some issue with the pentium dual core processor or the board would there, in that respect. I guess it would be more likely a board issue (chipset lock down ?) rather than the processor. But considering MS, and in light of this Novell scam that they have instigated ... i wouldn't be surprised about anything that lot come up with anymore (grin).

What is the actual board ?, but then you say ...

>>
and even ubuntu and backtrack
>>

There's your clincher ...

You don't mention anything on just what the kind of problem was/is though. And for the ubuntu attempt as well.

Running 'memtest' on the ram should verify that at least.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

jm

ferlon
01-01-2007, 08:12 PM
As posted in other Kpix-forum , the problem seems to be exclusive for new mobos based on Q965 Intel Chipsets (more precisely, all using ICH8 Sata controllers). As I learn in other Linux sites, the chipset which controls the PATA / IDE devices is unsupported by Linux Kernell versions older than 2.6.18 (itself included). I came here to see a Linux distro with Kernel 2.6.19 and Distrowatch said Knoppix 5.01 where one of then... But this discussion says not, the problem with these chipsets (Marvell and JMicron, used in Intel and Asus /Gigabyte boards) is not solved.
Buaaaaaaaaah.... :cry:
f

jjmac
01-02-2007, 12:45 AM
I've got my '_mag_' 5.0.1 on the hdd at the moment, the kernel is ...

/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17

The config is there in /boot as well. That could be rematered, though on another machine.

jm

ferlon
01-02-2007, 06:15 PM
[quote="jjmac"]I've got my '_mag_' 5.0.1 on the hdd at the moment, the kernel is ...

/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17

But is your PC a 965 one? Chipset what? And the Bios Setup: SATA? AHCI? All IDE? Legacy?

f

jjmac
01-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Howdy ferlon,

Just noticed your post on another thread

Knoppix Forum Index ยป Hardware & Booting
Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry

Seems you have a work around for that ...

No i'm using an Asus A8V and a AMD64 S969 +3000, the bios is AMI with a file date for Jan 2005, all purchased/built around may 2005. I haven't got the actual bios version handy though.

As you suggest on the other post, it is likely the kernel support that is the problem. And understandable for very new chipsets.

Somewhat disturbed to here that intel are going to discontinue pata/ide support ... sounds like a crazy thing for them to do. Sounds like a blantant push to roll people over on hw updating if thats the case. They must be very sure of their market.

Back to the point, it sounds like you will have to remater an updated kernel to fix that ...

complete edited: That the two mistaken posts below refer to.

jm

jjmac
01-04-2007, 10:42 AM
With regards to your post dated:

Thu Dec 21, 2006

>>
I have never heard of such a magazine release though and doubt that it happened.
>>

You doubt that it happened ... hmmmm ... well,

The 'home=' cli is completely ignored on the one i have.

Though the 'myconfig=' works fine. The earlier was my main quiery. In that it didn't seem to make sense as to why it shouldn't work.

And there are numerous irritating, though also curious bugs on the disc i got.

Not having a copy of both i can't really make a comparision to be absolutely sure.

The info i got was that there may have been an early mag release. And it did definately come from the mag mentioned. But i wouldn't think that it would be impossible for that to occur once any sought of public access is provided. Mags often like to get in early if they can for maketing reasons. As for versioning strings in text docs, i wouldn't be thinking that would be even unusual.

A mag issue is always a 'post date', in that the production process can start quite some time before hand. And once that machine starts there is a reluctance to interfere with it. So, 4 months may not be such a long time. As per the associated file stamps.

>>
and doubt that it happened.
>>

I find that disturbing ... Are you suggesting that i'm trying to lead you astray in that it wasn't a mag release ?, or that it wasn't that initial iso ?

Do you have any information, on a bug level that would distinguish those two images ?

Just for interest sake.

As i can asure you, that is where the image i have came from. And those are the dates, in .au AEST (day saving).

I was expecting some follow up on that but thought i would wait untill after all the new year stuff gets out of the way first before mentioning it.

jm

jjmac
01-05-2007, 11:17 AM
same as below, hit the wrong button, button fonts are two small to see clearly

jjmac
01-05-2007, 11:20 AM
mistaken post, should have been an edit