PDA

View Full Version : Partitions not detected

mahdi
05-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Hi
I hdd-installed Knoppix and it runs well but the CDrom and partitions werent detected (not shown on desktop, empty folders in /mnt ) . After playing little with the thing the CDrom and linuxpartition were coming and accessible. I have 3 other FAT32 partitions that I still cant access or see !!!

Can anyone help ??

Mahdi

Viro
05-19-2003, 06:35 PM
Have you tried taking a look at your /etc/fstab file? There should be a few lines there that have been commented out, and if you take a look at the man pages, you'll have a slight idea of what you might want the /etc/fstab file to look like.

mahdi
05-20-2003, 08:14 PM
Thanks for ur advice, I have uncommented some lines and changed noauto to auto as some other post said. Now i can see 2 of the 3 FAT partitions . How can i solve that ....

Moreover one the partitions gives the error (when i click its icon) " cant mount since fs might be wrong, wrong option or too much partitions mounted" but I can mount it successfully when I right click and choose "mount"

Thanks alot

Stephen
05-20-2003, 10:55 PM
Could you post your /etc/fstab and the output of fdisk -l /dev/hd? so we can get some idea of what the layout looks like, replace the ? with HD letter.

aay
05-20-2003, 11:47 PM
Ok, check out this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2230

Check out what Fabianx says.

This should easily get you setup with all the same icons on the desktop that were detected when you ran things from the CD.

In order to make these partitions writeable in addition to readable, you may need to go to /etc/fstab and change the all the partitions which have the "ro" options to "rw".