PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard doesn't work properly in Knoppix

darrenforster99
11-02-2006, 03:22 PM
I've got a bit of a problem with my keyboard in Knoppix. I've used the Keyboard fine with PuppyLinux and Fedora but when trying to use it with Knoppix it works to start with so I can type in Knoppix and then the options when it's booting, but when I go into the XWindows system the minute I press a key it just keeps acting as if I'm holding that key down all the time, and all the numlock/capslock/scrolllock lights go out. If I try to go into a terminal then it just keeps repeating the first key pressed, everything else seems to work fine. I've changed the USB port that the keyboards plugged into and also used knoppix lang=uk to see if that would fix it

My home PC is custom built and has the following:
USB Gateway Keyboard
USB Microsoft Trackball Explorer mouse - plugged into keyboard
USB Webcam - plugged into keyboard
USB Terratec Cinergy XS Digital TV card
USB Saitek wireless game controller
Creative Labs X-Fi Platinum sound card
AMD Sempron 2500 (32-bit)
1Gb memory
120Gb SATA HDD
Plextor 504A DVD Recorder (IDE)
Plextor 750A DVD Recorder (IDE)
Toshiba DVD drive (IDE)
ATI Radeon 9600 256Mb Graphics card
RealMagic Hollywood+ DVD decoder card
BT Voyager wireless card
motherboard with nVidia chipset
Hauppauge WinTV Theater Card

The other problem I have also is that I've tried using Knoppix on my Compaq laptop and that keeps failing to find the DVD unless I run it with the nodma option which makes it run so slow, yet PuppyLinux works fine with the DMA option.

Anyone any ideas as to a solution. I would use Puppy but it's missing so much that Knoppix has.

seamyst
11-03-2006, 08:23 PM
I have this problem too; I'm using a MacBook with built-in keyboard and it does the same thing you're describing. I'm a fast typist and it seems I have to slow waaaaaaay down in order to be able to do anything.

The mouse (built-in trackpad or external Dell USB optical mouse) does much the same thing, it's extremely sluggish and unresponsive. Is this a problem with Knoppix in general or with a lack of support for the MacBook? Or is this just normal, and since I've never used Linux/Knoppix before I have no idea what I'm talking about?