PDA

View Full Version : rockwell external modem need help

bako
05-19-2003, 08:08 PM
I use rockwell external v.90 56k, but still doesn't work. just stop in initializing modem. I was hear, it's not difficult to configure external modem on linux. but, I'm not lucky. somebody can help me?

iconfly
05-20-2003, 10:13 AM
I am using A Rockwell external modem. The only thing I had to do was change the device option in setup. I changed it from /dev/modem to /dev/stty1 or whatever serial port is used by the modem. Hope this helps, Jimmy.

bako
05-20-2003, 10:54 AM
I tried with /dev/ttyS1 but nothing happen. still stuck with initializing modem. anything help?
mmm...did u use knoppix 3.2?

RockMumbles
05-20-2003, 03:09 PM
in linux /dev/ttyS0 is your first serial port, COM1 in DOS, and /dev/ttyS1 is COM2, etc.

What serial port is your modem on?

rock

iconfly
05-20-2003, 07:21 PM
Yes I use 3.2 Do you have or can borrow another external modem?
Does it work under windows? If so you could find the port used.
Good luck!!

bako
05-21-2003, 08:32 PM
I use COM2 so I tried with /dev/ttyS1 but doesn't work. but it's work under windows. or maybe I should try with COM1. or any idea?

bako
05-28-2003, 08:14 PM
im almost give up with "this" modem. its right external modem and work under windows but still stuck with "initializing modem".
i want online with my linux :(
anyone can help me???

iconfly
05-28-2003, 10:05 PM
You could try running minicom. This is a comms program and should allow you to test the modem. Also it might be worth booting up with the modem switched OFF so it does not get autodetected. Then power modem up and try to connect. Hope someone has an answer for you. 8) :o

bako
06-02-2003, 05:59 AM
yes it's good idea to use minicom. thanx, i can heard my modem called my ISP. but I don't know, why it's not connected. i already configure my ISP phone number, my account, password, my serial port. im not familiar with minicom. man page is not helped me. any tutorial to use minicom I can get? :)

Stephen
06-02-2003, 06:48 AM
yes it's good idea to use minicom. thanx, i can heard my modem called my ISP. but I don't know, why it's not connected. i already configure my ISP phone number, my account, password, my serial port. im not familiar with minicom. man page is not helped me. any tutorial to use minicom I can get? :)

This article (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5448) and the second (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5467) part on linux journal might help.

sjey
04-21-2005, 11:29 PM
I use rockwell external v.90 56k, but still doesn't work. just stop in initializing modem. I was hear, it's not difficult to configure external modem on linux. but, I'm not lucky. somebody can help me?

I had the same problem with US robotics sportster voice 33600 Fax modem. I set the jumpers to com 2 and irq 3 (this also disabled pnp, and in windows I had to manually instal it - windows could not find it itself). It worked with Knoppix. Hope this helps.