PDA

View Full Version : Some help will be veeeery appreciated! Take a look!

mi3x
11-02-2006, 07:59 PM
First let me say hi to everyone, this is my 1st post and I am glad I found knoppix. I have a real problem. I own a very nice HP laptop, the only problem being that I have no HDD, therefore it stayed almost 2 month in my closed. Not only it does not have the HDD anymore, but it also misses the link (I don t know what is called, i'm not a native eng speaker) that connects the Hard drive to the laptop. All IT stores told me that they do not sell that piece and that I should buy an external hard drive on a rack and try install windows on it.
Which I did.. and now I am sorry. I bought 2 external hdds with racks via USB 2,0 but I cannot install windows though...it gives me the blue screen with some error after copying win files and rebooting.

So now I came across knoppix.. What I need to know from you guys, can I install knoppix on the external hdd and boot it from there? Or there is any other known bootable cd with windows that I could use? Please help, I paid alot on this laptop, I really need to use it. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks alot for your patience when reading this.

OErjan
11-03-2006, 09:37 AM
that depends on one thing and one thing alone, can it boot from USB. if it can it should work, if not you may still start it with a CD and pivot root to USB. there are other ways, search this forum for more info, it is out there.

TimJ
11-03-2006, 11:23 AM
mi3x hi,
notjing to do with loading Knoppix but have you tried talking direct to HP/compaq directly to get the bit you need, I have found they are quite helpful,

Tim

mi3x
11-05-2006, 04:05 AM
Ty for replying guys.. Well, I searched in bios and it does have the boot from USB option. So should I try copying it on the external drive and boot from there? I will do a lil search hopefully Ill find something. :D