PDA

View Full Version : how to create an icon on desktop

ashmita
11-07-2006, 02:10 AM
hi friends,

what should i do if i wish to create a shortcut icon of an application(executable o desktop).suppose i have an executable education package in /usr/bin directory and i want to create its icon on desktop so that a lay man has not to move across directories for its execution.

do reply if u have any suggestions.

maxIT
11-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Are you talking about KDE?
Right click on desktop->Create New->File->Link to application.

Hope this help

mavperl
11-29-2006, 08:52 PM
If you search in vim with /index you will find part of the script makes the link in the Autostart directory on the desktop.
So if your remastering copying this part of the script and editing slightly you can create a link to the executable in the bin directory show up on the desktop after booting. One problem with this is, you can edit the script, and test it, if there is no file no error will be thrown. And you can't add files to the cdrom directory. You need to be careful with the scripting put the file where it needs to be in the remaster source directory and create the iso. Qemu then will be good to test with before a burn.

maxIT
12-05-2006, 07:34 AM
Are you talking about KDE?
Right click on desktop->Create New->File->Link to application.

Hope this help

Actually on my first answer I didn't care so much about this specific room 'customising and remastering'! :oops:
Stayng much more on topic I think it sould be consider that icons are text files, here is my '$HOME/Ddesktop/Floppy':

[Desktop Action Format]
Exec=kfloppy %v
Name=Format

[Desktop Entry]
Actions=Format
Dev=/dev/fd0
Encoding=UTF-8
Icon=3floppy_mount
MountPoint=/floppy
ReadOnly=false
Type=FSDevice
UnmountIcon=3floppy_unmount